- It has been discovered that two people had tested positive for Covid-19 around 10 days before attending the Matric Rage in Ballito
- The information was revealed by National Institute for Communicable Diseases (NICD)
- The rage was classified as a "superspreader" event after hundreds of students and partiers tested positive for the virus after attending
Two people who attended the Ballito Matric Rage in Durban late last year are revealed to have tested positive for Covid-19 plus-minus 10 days prior to making the decision to attend the rage party.
According to NICD, it had received an alert on the 5th and 6th of December from a KwaZulu-Natal Hillcrest clinic about the high number of positive tests from people who had previously attended the event.
The National Institute for Communicable Diseases (NICD), which was in charge of analysing data from the event, then found that two people had tested positive for the deadly virus shortly before attending the event.
"Two confirmed cases identified among the Rage attendees (both revellers), were before the Rage with specimen collection date on November 17 and 19 2020,” the NICD disclosed, in a Timeslive article.
News24 also reported that despite it being mandatory, no one wore masks or used sanitisers regularly as instructed by WHO Covid-19 guidelines.
Meanwhile, locals have had this to say about the NICD's findings:
"Next headline: Two revellers, who attended the weekend #BeachProtest in Cape Town, had tested positive before the event but still decided to attend. Afterward, 848 people at the event tested positive for Covid-19. XX people have since died after catching the virus at the event."
"How irresponsible. But to be fair, they probably weren’t the only ones with Covid. It might feel fair to scapegoat them, but let’s be real, their absence wouldn’t have changed much at all."
Briefly.co.za previously reported that the Gauteng Department of Health has traced what it says is the majority of teens who recently attended the Ballito Rage festival. The provincial department says that it has tracked down over 1 300 students and tested a total of 1 050 for the virus.
Department spokesperson Kwara Kekana commented on the situation, confirming that:
"Of these, 984 tested positive and these students had 340 contacts of which 32 tested positive. The department continues to plead with learners and their parents to cooperate with healthcare workers who are doing contact tracing as this is an important process aimed at stopping the spread of the coronavirus."
Enjoyed reading our story? Download BRIEFLY's news app on Google Play now and stay up-to-date with major South African news!