Michelle Botes is a South African actress, designer, language teacher, and aromatherapist. She is best known for her brilliant performance in portraying the villainous character Cherel de Villiers-Haines in the show Isidingo between 1998 and 2007 on SABC3. She came back to the show in 2010 and again in 2019 for brief stints cementing her as one of the longest serving Isidingo actresses.
Michelle has been in the acting industry for decades now and her achievements are equally impressive. The villainous nature of her best-known character has been second nature to her and is a huge part of her public identity. However, there is real Michelle underneath all that and you will know all about her.
Michelle Botes profile summary
- Full name: Michelle Botes
- Date of birth: October 12th, 1962
- Place of birth: Cape Town, South Africa
- Michelle Botes age: 57 years old as of 2019
- Nationality: South African
- Relationship status: Single
- Occupation: Actor, designer, language teacher, and aromatherapist
- Famous for: Portraying the villainous character Cherel de Villiers-Haines in the show Isidingo
Michelle Botes biography
Born in Cape Town, Michelle got her matric and joined the Stellenbosch University for her Performing Arts Diploma in Speech and Drama (Bilingual). She also joined the University of Cape Town for her Education Diploma. In her earlier experiences, she toured the Cape where she landed her first role that gave her a solid foundation for the person she is today.
During her first job, she was offering literature using Library Tours until she got her first big role as Princess in the Afrikaans show called Eagles. In 1998, she joined Isidingo and stayed with the show until 2007. After that, she became a part of the Binnelanders cast together with other Binnelanders actors. You may know Binnelanders now as Binneland Sub Judice.
Michelle has been part of the following shows and movies:
- Inland Sub Judice as Ingrid Jordan
- Isidingo as Cherel de Villiers
- Lover Under the Arms, 1987 as Santie
- Ingrid Jonker, A Child Full of Secrets (KKNK, 1995)
- Palang van Mistake as Mary
- Until Death We Divide (stage, 2001)
- Triptik as Bibi (Barbara Brinkman) (1993)
- Kings as Santie
- Eagles as Princess
- Dear Heaven, Genis !, 1987 as Santie
- Bakgat 2, 2010 as an older woman in a red skirt
- Arende (1994)
- No Hero (1992)
- Liewe Hemel, Genis! (1986)
Michelle’s awards and nominations include:
- 2002: She was placed among the top-10 on television for The newspaper Star's Top-100.
- 2005: Most stylish South African celebrity by Elle magazine, JFPI Corporation and the Sunday Times newspaper.
- 2005: The Duku Duku Award for four consecutive years, including Best "Onscreen Villian".
- 2006: Woman of the Month by G-Sport.
- Best Actress for her role in Isidingo at the 19th Annual Avanti Awards.
- Together with Robert Whitehead (Barkes Haines), she won the award for Best TV Couple in Isidingo.
- Thrice won the Crystal Award for Best Actress.
Michelle Botes family
Is Hans Strydom married? Most people know Michelle as the former Hans Strydom wife on the show Binnelanders. In the show, the strong yet gentle Ingrid (role acted by Michelle) tames At Koster (role acted by Hans Strydom), and they get married.
So, who is Michelle Botes husband? In real life, Michelle got married to fellow actor Ian Roberts when she was 27 years old. She met her ex while working on the set of Eagles. The two divorced in 1999, after 11 years together and having two children: a Michelle Botes daughter and a son. Even after their divorce, Michelle and Ian remained friends.
There is no Michelle Botes Instagram so most of her photos can be found on her Facebook page.
As you can clearly see, the real Michelle Botes is nothing like the villain we have all come to love and adore in Isidingo. At almost 60, she looks as vibrant as ever and willing to offer us more entertainment.
- Chante Jantjies age, children, husband, parents, KTV, SABC and Instagram
- Shado Twala age, children, husband, siblings, SAfm and Instagram
- Patrick Shai children, wife, shot 11 times, 7de laan, Generations, pictures, Zone 14, Instagram and latest news
- Brenda Ngxoli age, children, husband, The River, Rockville, nominations, awards and Instagram
- Ian Khama age, children, wife, siblings, parents, education and scandals