The number of female rappers in the music industry keeps growing by the moment. Ladies have proven that they also have what it takes, and now some of the most successful rappers in the game are women. Gigi LaMayne is one of the most talented female hip hop artists in South Africa.
She is a rapper, songwriter, poet, and poem writer. Read the article below to learn all about her life and career in music.
Gigi LaMayne profile
- Gigi LaMayne real name: Genesis Gabriella Tina Manney
- Date of birth: July 7, 1994
- Place of birth: California
- Gigi LaMayne age: 25
- Zodiac sign: Cancer
- Nationality: South African
- Occupation: Musician and poet
- Gigi LaMayne Instagram: @gigi_lamayne
- Gigi LaMayne Twitter: @Gigi_Lamayne
Gigi LaMayne Biography
She was born in Lenasia, South Africa, to Sarah Manney and Collin Manney. From 2001 to 2012, she went to Dominican Convent High School in Johannesburg. She graduated from Wits University with a Bachelor of Arts Degree in Media and Anthropology. She was third in her class with four distinctions. She spent most of her childhood in Lenasia, Soweto, Eldorado Park, and Boarding school.
At the age of 11, she started composing poems with ‘Valentine’s Day’ as her first piece, and she began rapping when she was 16. Her talents were realized at an exchange programme in England under the Branson Scholarship Programme, where her performance took the 2nd place.
She was then signed to Scratchbeat Records, where she released her debut mixtape titled El Principio-16. Through her career, she has had great mentors such as Munya ‘Lym C’ Chanetsa, Mitchan ‘Pinkatso’ Adams, and Clint Allin. Her music is inspired by some of the industry’s legends, including Lucky Dube, Brenda Fassie, Jean Grae, and Tupac Shakur. Also, coming from a humble background shaped her into a lyricist.
In 2013, she was the first female to be signed to Benley Records, popularly known as the MFE Family, together with Pro Kid, red Button, and Captain. She later parted with the company and went solo for a while.
Gigi LaMayne songs
- Gigi LaMayne Lobola featuring Maraza (2017)
- Gigi LaMayne Bozza featuring Kwesta (2018)
- Gigi LaMayne My Ugly Boy
- Gigi LaMayne 1 BAR (2018)
- Gigi LaMayne ft King Monada Fufa
- Jou tad
- Koze Kube Nini
- Isaga Lam
- Ice Cream
- Mojo Jojo
- Full Clip
- Baddest in the Game
- I Genesis
- Jungle Fever
- Woza Woza
- Love Like This
- City lights
- Hate Your love
- The Source
- Send My Love
- Holy Liquor
- The Rap Up
- Daddy’s Home
- Ready for War
- Celebrate My Life
- Fees Will Fall
She has also been featured in other songs by artists like Rosa Ree, DJ Happygal, 2 Pm DJs, and Scooby Nero.
Gigi LaMayne albums
- Job Woods
- Colour of Reign
- Ground Zero
Presently, she is signed to the 360-degree management firm, Dream Team SA. She released her first mixtape with the firm titled Circus Cafe, working alongside Audio Restaurant with the producers J-Twinn and TAwm. Other artists signed in the company include Khuli Chana, Ms. Cosmo, DJ ZanD, and Tumisho Masha.
Some of the international acts she would like to work with include Nicki Minaj, Kendrick Lamar, and Eminem.
Some of the Gigi LaMayne awards include:
- In 2016, she received the Rising Star Award the Real Architect of Society Awards.
- The same year she got the honours from the mixtape of the year in the SA HipHop Awards.
- For two consecutive years in 2013 and 2014, she went home as Best Female act in the SA HipHop Awards.
- Also, in 2013 she was the recipient of the Best Newcomer and Mixtape of the Tear awards from the SA HipHop Awards.
- She also won the Jack Daniels music competition, and this year, she has been nominated for the Best Collabo for the Ice Cream Remix featuring Khuli Chana.
Gigi LaMayne is one of the most hardworking artists in South Africa. She has built her name in the country, and in five years, she wants to be among the greatest artists in Africa.