Yvonne Chaka Chaka is an African woman who rose to the stardom of success by giving music her all. She did not allow fate or circumstances to dictate where she would end up in her life; instead, she reached out for the extraordinary to achieve her dreams.
Today, the beauty is a respected Goodwill Ambassador and music icon. The singer started singing when she was a teenager. Interestingly, she was awarded the World Economic Forum Crystal Award by the World Economic Forum in Switzerland.
- Full name: Yvonne Machaka
- Nickname: princess of Africa
- Year of birth: 1965
- Yvonne Chaka Chaka age: 55 years
- Gender: Female
- Career: Singer, songwriter, change motivator, and philanthropist
- Instagram: yvonne_chakachaka
Where was Yvonne Chaka Chaka born?
The singer was born in 1965 in Dobsonville in the heart of Soweto to her parents. She lost her father at the tender age of 11 years. Her mother, Sophie Machaka, became the sole breadwinner of their family. She grew up together with her two sisters.
Despite all the challenges they faced as a result of her mother’s meager wages, she managed to complete her studies at the University of South Africa. She graduated with two distinguished diplomas in adult literacy, and local government, management & administration.
In 1981, she appeared on the show Sugar Shack, something that was remarkable as she was the first black child. Being an active member of her choir and having a unique voice, she was quickly recognized by many talented hunters. In 1985, when she was just 19 years old, Phill Hollis of Dephon Records signed her up.
She released her first debut album known as I’m in love with a DJ, which sold about 35,000 copies. She then released various albums such as Yvonne Chaka Chaka motherland, Who is the Bose, Burning up, Sangoma, Thank you Mr. DJ, Power of Africa, Be proud to be African, Who’s got the power, Kwenzenjani, among others.
She is behind more than 20 albums and many popular songs. She has shared the stage with other popular stars such as Miriam Makeba, Annie Lennox, Angelique Kidjo, Bono, and Johnny Clegg, among others. Her talent has enabled her to meet prominent people in the world, such as the Queen of England, Bill Clinton, and Mandela.
The iconic singer is behind many great songs. Here are some of Yvonne Chaka Chaka songs.
- Yvonne Chaka Chaka umqombothi
- Take My Love Its Free
- I'm in Love with a DJ
- Caught Breaking the Law
- Kana Uchema
- Im Winning My Dear Love
- Who's Got the Power
- Im Burning Up
- Everywoman Needs a Man
- Thank You Mr DJ
- Power of Africa
- Will Africa Change
Achievements and awards
The talented singer has achieved quite much in her career. Here are some of her notable achievements:
- Rotary Paul Harris Fellowship Award from Roll Back Malaria
- Ngomo Award for the grand song prize of Zaire (now DRC)
- FNB/SAMA Award for the best female singer
- World Economic Forum Crystal Award by World Economic Forum in Switzerland
- She owns a productions company and a music label.
- She teaches as part-time literature at the University of South Africa.
- Serves in the board of the Johannesburg Tourism Company
- She owns and runs a limousine company.
- She works with the United Nations as a Goodwill Ambassador for the Roll Back Malaria Partnership and UNICEF
- According to Forbes, she is one of the most powerful women in South Africa.
The songwriter is married to Mandlalele Mhinga, a medical doctor, and together they have four sons. The couple got married in 1989, and in 2019, the couple celebrated 30 years of happy marriage together. According to her, her husband is a great contributor to her looking youthful at her age. He is her greatest supporter in life. Yvonne Chaka Chaka sons are Ningi Mhinga, Mfuma Mhinga, Themba Mhinga, and Mandla Mhinga.
Here are some frequently asked questions and their answers about Chaka Chaka.
What language does Yvonne Chaka Chaka speak?
The musician can fluently speak Zulu, Sotho, and English.
What happened to Yvonne Chaka Chaka?
Early this year, the popular singer dismissed claims alleging that she was deported from Uganda, where she was to perform at a New Year’s Eve concert because of Visa issues. However, the singer stated on social media that she left on her own accord.
Who is the Princess of Africa?
Most of her fans have dabbed her as the Princess of Africa. She is also the founder of her charity organization, Princess of Africa Foundation, which is geared towards upholding children rights.
READ ALSO: Mia Khalifa bio: net worth, boyfriend, birthday, life story
Yvonne Chaka Chaka wears many hats, from being a wife, mother, musician, songwriter, philanthropist, and health advocate. Her remarkable passion for music is evident and admirable across the globe. She is indeed a South African legend.
- All you need to know about Ntate Moloi Zone 14 TV series actor
- Strange facts about Sandile Mantsoe that people still cannot believe
- King Dalindyebo age, children, wife, parents, case, municipality, palace, net worth, profile
- 5 Charles Maja memories: Getting to know the late actor & legend
Source: Briefly News