Florence Masebe Questions Nathi Mthethwa Over 'Mismanagement' of R300 Million

Florence Masebe Questions Nathi Mthethwa Over 'Mismanagement' of R300 Million

- Florence Masebe has questioned Minister Nathi Mthethwa regarding his explanation of the "mismanagement" of R300 million by the NAC

- The veteran actress accused Mthethwa of trying to 'spin' the recent reports claiming that the money is missing

- Mthethwa said the funds never disappeared and part of the R300 million is still there while the rest had been allocated incorrectly

PAY ATTENTION: Join Briefly News' Telegram channel! Never miss important updates!

Florence Masebe took to social media to question Sports, Arts and Culture Minister Nathi Mthethwa.

On Monday, 29 March, the minister gave an explanation regarding the "mismanagement" of R300 million meant for artists who are struggling amid the Covid-19 pandemic.

Mthethwa dismissed recent reports that the funds were missing. The minister explained that people over committed the funds given to them.

He said part of the R300 million is still there and part of it is being dispersed, reports TshisaLIVE. Mthethwa emphasised that the money has not disappeared.

Read also

Julius Malema: Mzansi responds to trial date set for EFF leader

Florence took to Twitter after Mthethwa's address and shared her thoughts on his explanation. She first asked:

"So who made up the story about the 'mismanaged' or 'disappeared' 300 million? Where did that come from?"

She accused the minister of trying to spin the reports that the money allocated to the National Arts Council (NAC) to disperse to artists was missing.

"Don't spin. Communicate."

The veteran actress added:

"Let me ask again. Where did the false reports about a missing R300 million come from?"

The star's followers and industry peers took to her comment section to share their opinions on the matter. Check out some of their comments below:

@justmash01 wrote:

"Chicco is alleging the money was stolen by Arthur."

@sbu_msomi said:

"The minister himself released a statement and said 'the money was misallocated' how does that differ from mismanaged or disappeared?"

@MalcontentPizza wrote:

"And if the money is still there, what is the investigation for?"

Read also

You Can Make More Than a Bank Manager: Mini Taxi Driver Shows Off Hustle

@tsepomhlongo commented:

"From @NathiMthethwaSA himself. He told the artists on Zoom that the mismanagement of 300 million will be investigated."

@KGMoeketsi wrote:

"The most important thing is not the Minister’s spin, which you seem to believe, but accountability. We would like to see the records of who and when they received monies from the department, and then we can rest. The Minister himself implied as much in the Zoom address."

@Siwa_Mbara said:

"He is embarrassed. Such is not true. They embezzled R300m at Arts and Culture. Here we are, we never even got a letter of 'regret'. Iyatyiwa imali yiANC kwela Rhawuti."

@Gao_Phala commented:

"From my understanding. The reports said mismanaged R300 million not missing."

@duduk2m added:

"Well, he says he didn't say it. Even though it's on video!"

Daily Maverick reported that Mthethwa announced that a forensic investigation will look into the mismanagement of the stimulus package.

Read also

Thembisa Mdoda Nxumalo wants Minister Nathi Mthethwa arrested

Florence Masebe Questions Nathi Mthethwa Over 'mismanagement' of R300m
Florence Masebe has questioned Nathi Mthethwa over the 'mismanagement' of R300m. Image: @flomasebe, @artsculturesa
Source: Instagram

In related news, Briefly.co.za reported that Chomee has denied that she received an over R2 million cheque from the National Arts Council (NAC). The musician allegedly bought herself a luxurious whip after she received the fat cheque from NAC.

The stunner took to social media and told her fans that a report by a local publication claiming her company, Divatainment, was recently paid R2 million by the Arts and Culture Department is all a big fat lie.

The money she allegedly received was meant to help struggling artists amid the Covid-19 pandemic. Chomee told her fans on Instagram that she bought the luxurious whip about six years ago. The star replied to a fan who asked about the car:

"@nonto_mathebula the car I have was bought about 6 years ago."

Enjoyed reading our story? Download BRIEFLY's news app on Google Play now and stay up-to-date with major South African news!

Source: Briefly.co.za

Online view pixel