- Suspended ANC Secretary-General Ace Magashule has reportedly claimed that he's suspended President Cyril Ramaphosa
- This follows news that Magashule himself had been suspended from the ruling party following the 30-day step-aside rule
- Magashule spoke to a well-known media house where he clarified that he suspended Ramaphosa due to the CR17 campaign
Ace Magashule's battle continues as he recently stated that he would no longer remain silent as he alleged that state resources were being used against him and his allies. Magashule did not give any names.
Magashule stated that he stayed in his position as African National Congress Secretary-General because he had appealed the ruling party's decision to have him suspended. Magashule alleged that he had suspended President Cyril Ramaphosa due to the CR17 campaign.
Magashule's claims seem a bit far-fetched as he had not received a mandate from the National Executive Committee (NEC). The NEC is the only body between conferences that can suspend a party president.
The defiant Magashule called EWN on Wednesday evening in order to clear up any and all confusion over the suspension letters which were addressed to President Ramaphosa. Magashule stated that he allegedly had backing from the NEC to suspend the president.
According to the report by the media publication, Magashule stated that the letters were delivered at the beginning of the week to Ramaphosa and Deputy Secretary-General Jessie Duarte.
News24 reported that Duarte said the suspended SG said she did not have any authority to issue those letters. The ANC's Pule Mabe stated that they had noted Magashule's letter of suspension with regards to the president.
Mabe added that the NEC would meet over the coming weekend to discuss the matters and respond accordingly to the suspended SG.
According to IOL, while challenging his suspension letter, Magashule stated that it was 'clear' that Duarte did not have such authority, adding that the letter is unconstitutional due to that fact and was 'fatally flawed'.
Previously, Briefly News reported that after Magashule refused to voluntarily step aside the ANC has enforced its step-aside policy by suspending the 61-year-old ANC veteran until the pending court cases are resolved.
A letter dated 3 May, 2021 was issued by the ANC in which deputy secretary Jessi Duarte instructed Magashule that he had been suspended, according to News24.
The South African reported that this finally enforces that ANC's step-aside policy. Magashule faces charges of corruption relating to a R250 million asbestos auditing contract. He and his accomplices allegedly enriched themselves through the contract.
Enjoyed reading our story? Download BRIEFLY's news app on Google Play now and stay up-to-date with major South African news!