- Patricia Seapi, whose son was killed early on Wednesday in alleged mob justice, has shared the pain of losing a "good" son
- A distraught Seapi says she doesn’t why her son, who is among four men killed in Zandspruit, was murdered
- Seapi has urged the South African police to act swiftly and arrest those responsible for killing her son
The mother of one of the mob justice victims who were killed on Wednesday morning in Zandspruit has spoken out. Patricia Seapi has condemned the killings and says her son was a “good” child at home and that she has no idea why her boy was killed, reportedly by angry community members.
The mourning mother has also called on the South African Police Services to act swiftly and arrest those who killed her 23-year-old child.
Speaking to the Sowetan, Seapi said she was taken to identify her son's body and said she is not happy. She was quoted:
“I do not know why he was killed. They should have approached me and told me what he did and I would have paid for whatever he had stolen.
“I was brought here to identify him. I am not happy about what happened. It’s not nice carrying a child for nine months and he suddenly loses his life in this manner.
"God will act on my behalf and answer my prayers. He was a good child at home but I do not know his behaviour in the streets.”
According to the Johannesburg-based publication, a large group of community members had gathered at the scene when SowetanLive's sister publication TimesLive visited the area.
The crime scene was cordoned off with police tape, while the burnt corpses lay facing the ground with their hands bound and it is reported that one body still had a burnt tyre around the neck.
Meanwhile, the SAPS has since released a statement and Provincial Commissioner Lieutenant Mavela Masondo has condemned the killings. The SAPS said:
“Gauteng Police Commissioner, Lieutenant General Elias Mawela has condemned the mob justice following the killing of four people and five that were seriously injured and taken to hospital on Wednesday morning, 19 May 2021 at about 02:00.
"It is reported that on Wednesday 19 May 2021 at approximately 02h00, a group of about two hundred went out to search for the boys who were allegedly robbing people in the area of Zandspruit.
“It is alleged that about nine boys were forcefully taken to the sports ground where they were assaulted, four died and five were taken to hospital. The cases of murder and attempted murder are under investigation to establish what happened. Police are searching for the suspects.”
In other stories, Briefly News reported that four Zandspruit were been killed in what appears to be a mob justice attack. Recent reports revealed that the five remaining men have been hospitalised.
The attack, which took place on Tuesday night, allegedly happened after community members of the North West community rounded up nine men who they accused of terrorising neighbourhoods in the area.
According to eNCA and News24, the bodies of the four deceased were discovered on a soccer field still bound in rope and at the time police had been waiting for forensic officials to conduct investigations.
Enjoyed reading our story? Download BRIEFLY's news app on Google Play now and stay up-to-date with major South African news!