Good food is one of the ways of getting into someone's heart. Good food does not always have to be a whole meal. You could make the most out of a snack and enjoy the moment. Hertzoggies, for instance, are one of the yummiest snacks that you could feast on. You could also have them as a dessert. If your dream is to make the best out of this snack, how about learning how to make the best hertzoggies with puff pastry.
What are hertzoggies? For a typical South Africa, hertzoggies are the kind of snacks that will leave you thinking of how yummy they are. In Afrikaans, they are commonly known as Hertzogkoekie, whereas in English, they are known as Hertzog Cookie. Because of how sweet they are, they are taken as a dessert and in most cases accompanied by English tea. They can also be taken as a snack.
If you are the type that enjoys brunching, hertzoggies should be your go-to snacks. They are simple to prepare and the taste that they bring along is one to die for. If you are a fan of this delicacy, you definitely want to learn how to prepare them. The best part about preparing this tasty snack is that they are baked, so the only time that you will be busy is during the preparation time. Thereafter, you can sit down and feast on the tasty snack.
READ ALSO: How to prepare the best curry noodle salad
Another thing that makes this snack one to die for is the fact that you could play around with ingredients and bring out the different tastes of the snack, depending on the taste that you wish to have. It all depends on your creativity. The taste of your fillings depends on the ingredients that you would have used for the coconut apricot jam tartlets. The quantity of the ingredients will also influence the taste of your filings.
The most classic hertzoggies recipe
The recipe for the hertzoggie is in two parts; one for the pastry, and the other one for the filling.
For the pastry;
- 1 teaspoon of baking powder
- 2 cups of self-raising flour
- 3 egg yolks
- 150 ml castor sugar
- ½ cup of cubed butter
- A pinch of salt
- A splash of cold water
For the filling
- 1 cup of sugar
- 2 cups of desiccated coconut
- 2 large egg whites
- 150 ml apricot jam
- 1 teaspoon of vanilla essence
- Sieve the flour into a bowl.
- Add the baking powder, salt, and castor sugar into the flour. Mix the dry ingredients in the bowl to obtain a homogeneous mix.
- Rub the butter into the mix using your fingers. Rub the mix until it obtains a crumbly feel.
- Add the egg yolks and mix to a homogenous mix. Add the water and continue mixing until the mix obtains a uniform consistency.
- Transfer the mix from the bowl onto a clean surface that has been floured and knead until the dough stops being sticky and becomes smooth.
- Transfer the dough back to your bowl and cover it with a cling foil for it to rise for about twenty minutes.
As the dough is rising, you could embark on preparing the meringue.
- In a clean bowl, whisk the egg whites to obtain soft peaks.
- Add the sugar and vanilla essence and whisk until the sugar crystals are completely dissolved.
- Fold in the desiccated coconut and let the mix settle.
Preparation procedure for the dough
- On a floured surface, roll the dough to a thickness of about 5mm.
- Using a cookie cutter, cut the dough into the desired shapes. If you do not have a cookie-cutter, you could use a cup.
- Line the cut cookie pieces in each hollow of your muffin tray.
- Using a spoon, apply some apricot jam on the surface of the cut cookie pieces. Add a second layer of the meringue to the cookie to form the topping.
- Pre-heat the oven to 180 degrees.
- Pop the tarts into the oven and let them bake for 20 to 25 minutes until they obtain a golden brown colour. After that, allow them to cool before removing them carefully from the muffin tray.
You could feast on your hertzog cookies alongside a cup of English tea or juice. The main hack is using the best South African jam tart recipe.
If you are a fan of sweetened cookies, this hertzoggies resep will come in handy. It will not only make you have your best snack at your convenience but also make you appreciate the beauty of baking. With this amazing recipe, you do not deserve to live a boring life anymore.