Covid-19 update: Gauteng opens another testing station ahead of spike

Covid-19 update: Gauteng opens another testing station ahead of spike

Government officials have warned that Gauteng infections are expected to boom in just a few weeks. Briefly.co.za explores the latest updates on the Covid-19 pandemic in South Africa.

PAY ATTENTION: Click “See First” under the “Following” tab to see Briefly.co.za News on your News Feed!

The Gauteng province is bracing itself for a surge in Covid-19 infections towards the end of this month.

Briefly.co.za explores the latest stories covering the pandemic in SA:

1. Covid-19 storm heading towards Gauteng

Acting MEC Jacob Mamabolo has warned that the Covid-19 storm is closing in on Gauteng. The region is anticipating a drastic spike in infections during the last week of August and the beginning of September.

Mamabolo says that it is too early to breathe a sigh of relief over the decrease in hospital admissions. The acting MEC highlighted adhering to lockdown regulations as crucial to limiting the spread of the virus.

As far as risky behaviour is concerned, Mamabolo promised that the provincial government would be clamping down.

coronavirus

The Gauteng province is bracing itself for a surge in cases. Image: GCIS
Source: UGC

READ ALSO: Mangosuthu Buthelezi is doing okay after testing positive for Covid-19

2. Another Covid-19 testing station opens at Gauteng mall

The Gauteng Department of Health in conjunction with private sector entities has opened another mall-based Covid-19 testing station at the Bloed Street Mall.

Rebosis Property Fund and Faithcare Medicals joined forces with the state to help contribute to an increase in testing. Community members will now be able to access testing free of charge, with the first site launched at the Forest Hill Shopping Mall in Centurion.

3. Mkhize updates SA on Covid-19 stats

Health Minister Dr Zweli Mkhize has updated SA on the latest Covid-19 statistics amid the pandemic In a statement issued on Monday evening, Mkhize confirmed that the nation had seen an increase in cases:

"As of today, a cumulative total of 563 598 confirmed Covid-19 cases in South Africa have been recorded."

The minister also noted an increase in the number of deaths recorded with the toll currently at 10 621:

"Regrettably, we report 213 new Covid-19 related deaths: 57 from Eastern Cape, 39 from Gauteng, 11 from KwaZulu-Natal, 64 from the Free State, 10 from Mpumalanga, 30 from Western Cape and 2 from Northern Cape. This brings the cumulative total of reported Covid-19-related deaths to 10 621."

Thankfully, the minister revealed that the recovery rate is rising in Mzansi, commenting that:

"The number of recoveries currently stands at 417 200, which translates to a recovery rate of 74%."

The provincial breakdown is as follows:

  • Eastern Cape - 82 578
  • Free State - 28 909
  • Gauteng - 193 561
  • KwaZulu-Natal - 99 386
  • Limpopo - 10 711
  • Mpumalanga - 19 455
  • North West - 21 933
  • Northern Cape - 6 802
  • Western Cape - 100 213

In other news, Briefly.co.za reported that former Inkatha Freedom Party leader Mangosuthu Buthelezi is in good spirits after testing positive for Covid-19.

Buthelezi, who is currently in self-isolation, says he is still asymptomatic despite having the virus.

Buthelezi told SABC News that he is in a healthy condition. He said he is grateful to the people who have sent him messages wishing him a speedy recovery.

"I didn’t feel any pain anywhere; I have no sign even now. I’m in good fettle, I’m in perfect fettle so therefore I am abiding by the rules, doctors said I must isolate. Otherwise, I am in good fettle.
"I would like to thank your majesty the King, he’s been very concerned about me. He has even sent some things which he thought could help me. Even other people have done so. I am very grateful."

Enjoyed reading our story? Download BRIEFLY's news app on Google Play now and stay up-to-date with major South African news!

Source: Briefly.co.za

Online view pixel