State Asks for Accused to Be Denied Bail for Own Safety: #JusticeForLufuno

State Asks for Accused to Be Denied Bail for Own Safety: #JusticeForLufuno

- The State has asked that the child who assaulted Lufuno Mavhunga be denied bail for her own safety

- Apparently the the teenager is not safe out in the open and it would be better if she were to be put in a youth centre

- The case of Lufuno Mavhunga and her reported suicide has put bullying in schools in the spotlight

PAY ATTENTION: Click “See First” under the “Following” tab to see Briefly.co.za News on your News Feed!

In the case of Lufuno Muvhunga, the state has asked that the accused be denied bail and rather be detained at a youth centre for her own safety. The teen from Mbilwi Secondary School assaulted Muvhanga, who later reportedly committed suicide.

According to a report by EWN, the National Prosecuting Authority (NPA)'s Mashudu Malabi-Nzhangi said:

“The investigating officer tried to give some incident which had happened, that is why at this stage we are saying that it would be in the best interest for the child to be kept at the youth care centre."

Read also

Mbilwi teen, 14, to apply for bail in Children's Court: #JusticeForLufuno

State asks for accused to be denied bail for own safety: #JusticeForLufuno
Lufuno Mavhunga's attacker might be in danger if she is granted bail. Image: @Prince_SA2021
Source: Twitter

The investigating officer told the state that the child is not safe outside and it would be better if she is held at a youth centre instead. Ever since the incident, tributes have been pouring in for Mavhunga online and this has put the spotlight on bullying at schools.

The teenager was arrested last week following the assault and the verdict on the bail application is going to be heard next week, according to a report by News24.

The Thohoyandou Magistrate's Court insists that the teen should be taken to a youth centre for her transgressions instead of being out in public because this would put her safety in jeopardy.

Briefly News previously reported that the Mbilwi teen, 14, applied for bail in the Children's Court.

The 14-year-old Mbilwi Secondary School student who is seen in a video assaulting and slapping late student Lufuno Mavhunga applied for bail on Thursday morning in the Thohoyandou Children's Court in Limpopo.

Read also

Lufuno Mavhunga: South Africa bids a sad farewell to teen

The Grade 10 learner faces a charge of assault with intent to do grievous bodily harm. Lufuno Mavhunga later took strong pills and passed away and the death was ruled a suicide.

The minor's case is going to be held on camera with just her family, the probation officer, the state and the defence present in the court.

Enjoyed reading our story? Download BRIEFLY's news app on Google Play now and stay up-to-date with major South African news!

Source: Briefly.co.za

Online view pixel