Mbilwi Teen, 14, to Apply for Bail in Children's Court: #JusticeForLufuno

Mbilwi Teen, 14, to Apply for Bail in Children's Court: #JusticeForLufuno

- The 14-year-old teen who assaulted Lufuno Mavhunga is going to apply for bail on Thursday according to reports

- The incident took place at Mbilwi Secondary School and the Grade 10 learner is facing charges of assault

- Tributes are still pouring in for Lufuno Mavhunga on social media; she committed suicide after the altercation

PAY ATTENTION: Click “See First” under the “Following” tab to see Briefly.co.za News on your News Feed!

The 14-year-old Mbilwi Secondary School student who is seen in a video assaulting and slapping late student, Lufuno Mavhunga, is expected to apply for bail on Thursday morning in the Thohoyandou Children's Court in Limpopo.

The Grade 10 learner faces a charge of assault with intent to do grievous bodily harm. Lufuno Mavhunga later took strong pills and passed away and the death was ruled a suicide.

The minor's case is going to be held on camera with just her family, the probation officer, the state and the defence present in the court.

Read also

Lufuno Mavhunga: South Africa bids a sad farewell to teen

Mbwili teen, 14, to apply for bail at Children's Court #JusticeForLufuno
The Mbiwili teen who assaulted Lufuno Mavhunga is expected to apply for bail on Thursday. Image: @LimpopoEducation
Source: Twitter

Her lawyer, Kagiso Muthivhithivhi, says they need her to be released into the custody of her mother because she is not able to cope with the stress that the case has given her. Muthivhithivhi says that this is her first offence and it should be treated as such.

“We are talking about a child who comes from a great family, great family support and she has never been in conflict with the law. This is the first time that she has been removed and placed somewhere," he told SABC News.

According to a report by news broadcaster eNCA, the other students who were involved in the incident have been suspended from the school.

Briefly News previously reported that SAHRC findings confirmed that the principal did not take action.

The South African Human Rights Commission (SAHRC) confirmed that its preliminary findings showed that the principal of a Limpopo school where Lufuno Mavhunga was assaulted failed to take necessary action when her family notified him of the situation.

Read also

Teenager arrested, Education Department to take action: #JusticeForLufuno

The commission visited the Mbilwi Secondary School on Wednesday prior to a video of Lufuno being assaulted by a fellow pupil went viral. Lufuno allegedly committed suicide and the culprits were taken into custody shortly after.

The SAHRC's Victor Mavhidula shared feelings of anger and disappointment towards the principal's failure to step in and resolve the incident.

Enjoyed reading our story? Download BRIEFLY's news app on Google Play now and stay up-to-date with major South African news!

Source: Briefly.co.za

Online view pixel