Former World Champion Zolani Tete Shot Dead in Mdantsane As Comeback Loomed
- Former two-division world boxing champion Zolani Tete was fatally shot outside his home in Mdantsane, Eastern Cape
- The 38-year-old boxer was preparing for a long-awaited comeback after his four-year ban ended on 29 July 2026
- Police have opened a murder investigation as Mdantsane and South Africa’s boxing community mourn the former world champion
PAY ATTENTION: Mark Briefly News as a preferred source, and our content will appear higher in your Google feed!

Source: Getty Images
The boxing world is mourning the reported death of former two-weight world champion Zolani “Last Born” Tete, who was shot dead in Mdantsane on Friday evening, 21 August 2026. The 38-year-old boxer was returning from the gym when the fatal shooting occurred at NU17, near his home.
Provincial police confirmed that a murder investigation is underway following the incident, which reportedly happened at around 6.30 pm. Tete was declared dead at the scene, while a woman who was also injured was taken to hospital.
According to the Daily Dispatch, Provincial police spokesperson Brigadier Nobuntu Gantana confirmed that a murder investigation had been opened following the shooting.
“The scene is currently active, and our officers are attending to all necessary protocols. We are unable to confirm the identity of the deceased at this time,” Gantana said.
PAY ATTENTION: You can now search for all your favourite news and topics on Briefly News.
Zolani Tete was preparing for boxing comeback
Tete’s manager, Mlandeli Tengimfene, confirmed his death and said the former champion had been working towards a return to professional boxing.
Tete’s four-year doping ban ended on 29 July 2026. Reflecting on the difficult period, he had previously said:
“The last four years have been nothing but hell for me and my family.”
The former World Boxing Organisation (WBO) bantamweight and International Boxing Federation (IBF) junior-bantamweight champion was preparing for a planned fight on 29 November.

Source: Getty Images
Former world champion’s career cut short
Tete had been training regularly ahead of his proposed comeback, although the licensing requirements presented another hurdle.
The Mdantsane-born boxer won world titles in two divisions and established himself as one of South Africa’s accomplished fighters.
Police have appealed for information and no arrests had been reported at the time of publication. The investigation continues.
Boxing tragedies renew focus on fighter safety
Briefly News previously reported that Zimbabwean-born boxing champion Ndoda Ncube died on 16 May 2026 after suffering severe brain complications following a title bout in Middelburg.
The super-featherweight champion underwent emergency surgery after collapsing following his fight. Ncube’s death came after a period in which he remained critically ill in hospital.
PAY ATTENTION: Stay informed and follow us on Google News!
Source: Briefly News

