Robert Marawa Mourns Zolani Tete After Former World Champion’s Tragic Death

Robert Marawa Mourns Zolani Tete After Former World Champion’s Tragic Death

  • Robert Marawa has paid tribute to Zolani Tete after the former world champion’s tragic death in Mdantsane, as tributes begin pouring in
  • A remarkable career made Zolani Tete one of South Africa’s most accomplished boxing champions, with major titles and a world record
  • Just weeks ago, Zolani Tete was preparing for a return to the ring after his lengthy suspension came to an end, adding to the shock of his death
Robert Marawa mourns Zolani Tete
Robert Marawa has mourned former two-division world champion Zolani “Last Born” Tete following his tragic death in Mdantsane on Friday, 21 August 2026.
Source: UGC

South African boxing broadcaster Robert Marawa has mourned former two-division world champion Zolani “Last Born” Tete after the boxer was shot dead at his home in Mdantsane, Eastern Cape, on Friday, 21 August 2026.

Boxing South Africa confirmed Tete’s death in a statement released later that evening, describing the 38-year-old as “more than a champion” and “an icon of South African boxing”.

Marawa was among those to publicly react to the devastating news. Taking to X, he shared a simple but emotional tribute to the former champion:

Read also

Former world champion Zolani Tete shot dead in Mdantsane as comeback loomed

“REST IN PEACE CHAMP!!!”

PAY ATTENTION: You can now search for all your favourite news and topics on Briefly News.

He accompanied the message with broken-heart and dove emojis.

The brief post came as news of Tete’s death spread through the South African boxing community, with fellow fighters, supporters and members of the public expressing their shock.

Zolani Tete’s remarkable world championship career

Tete established himself as one of South Africa’s most successful boxers, becoming a two-division world champion. He captured the IBF junior-bantamweight title in Japan in July 2014, beating Teiru Kinoshita on points.

Three years later, he moved up to bantamweight and claimed the WBO interim title against Arthur Villanueva before being elevated to full champion status.

His most famous moment came in Belfast on 18 November 2017, when he stopped fellow South African Siboniso Gonya in just 11 seconds. The extraordinary victory became the fastest knockout in a world title fight and remains a Guinness World Record.

Tete eventually lost his WBO title to John Riel Casimero in 2019, but remained one of the most recognisable names produced by the Eastern Cape boxing scene.

Read also

Rassie Erasmus accused of “running scared” as All Blacks series risks turning toxic

Tete was preparing for a return to the ring

The timing of his death makes the news particularly poignant. Tete had been preparing to revive his professional career after serving a four-year anti-doping suspension.

UK Anti-Doping confirmed that the sanction, imposed after an adverse finding for stanozolol following his July 2022 fight against Jason Cunningham, was due to expire on 29 July 2026.

In January, The Ring reported that Tete intended to return to boxing and would not allow the suspension to end his career.

That comeback appeared increasingly realistic as July approached. Daily Dispatch reported on 30 July that Tete had been training regularly and had filed a relicensing application.

However, there were complications. Boxing South Africa initially said Tete did not qualify for a licence because of his age and lack of recent ring activity, although officials indicated regulations were being amended.

His manager, Mlandeli Tengimfene, had remained confident that Tete would return to the ring in August. That comeback will now never happen.

Read also

Jabulisile Tshabalala murder: Suspect to appear in Orlando Magistrate's Court on Friday

Boxing South Africa pays tribute

In its statement, Boxing South Africa said Tete’s legacy stretched beyond his championship belts.

The organisation praised his contribution to South African boxing and extended condolences to his family, manager, All-Winners Boxing Club and Last-Born Boxing Promotions.

BSA also asked the public to respect the family’s privacy while officials discuss further details about tributes and memorial arrangements.

Police investigate Zolani Tete shooting

Briefly News previously reported that police have opened a murder investigation following the death of former world champion Zolani Tete in Mdantsane.

The circumstances surrounding the incident have since become the focus of an ongoing investigation, with authorities working to establish exactly what happened.

Source: Briefly News

Authors:
Dzikamai Matara avatar

Dzikamai Matara Dzikamai Matara is a sports writer at Briefly News. He previously worked as a news and current affairs editor at iHarare for eight years. Before that, he was a profiler, sports, human interest, entertainment, and current affairs writer at Pindula for two years, where he produced profiles and news articles. He completed two years of Mechanical Engineering coursework at the Massachusetts Institute of Technology (MIT). He has also completed YOAST SEO for Beginners (2023), YOAST Block Editor Training (2023), and YOAST Structured Data for Beginners (2023).