Zolani Tete Murder: Two Suspects Arrested As Police Warn More Arrests Are Imminent
- Police have arrested two persons of interest as investigators intensify their probe into Zolani Tete's fatal shooting
- The former world champion was killed in a hail of bullets in Mdantsane on Friday evening
- SAPS says investigators are following several leads and warns that more arrests are imminent
PAY ATTENTION: Mark Briefly News as a preferred source, and our content will appear higher in your Google feed!

Source: Getty Images
South African police have arrested two persons of interest following the murder of former world champion boxer Zolani Tete, who was killed in a hail of bullets in Mdantsane on Friday evening. The arrests were made on Saturday, 22 August 2026, as investigators intensified their probe into the fatal shooting.
The suspects, aged 30 and 22, were apprehended in Ku Gompo during what the South African Police Service (SAPS) described as a “swift and intelligence-driven operation” involving multiple law-enforcement units.
Both remain in custody and are being questioned over Tete's murder and the attempted murder of a 27-year-old female passenger who was wounded in the attack.
Two suspects in custody as investigation widens
SAPS said investigators are following several leads and warned that more arrests are imminent. Police have not disclosed the motive or detailed circumstances surrounding the arrests, citing the sensitive nature of the investigation.
PAY ATTENTION: You can now search for all your favourite news and topics on Briefly News.
Authorities have also cautioned the public and media against spreading speculation or unverified information. They warn that it could compromise the investigation and the integrity of upcoming court proceedings.

Source: Getty Images
Police issue appeal after fatal shooting
Tete, 38, was fatally shot at NU 17, Mdantsane, at approximately 18:30 on Friday, 21 August 2026. The attack also left the female passenger wounded.
The former two-time world champion had been preparing for a return to boxing after his suspension ended in July 2026. He was reportedly due to make his comeback in November.
Tete won world titles in two divisions. He became particularly famous after stopping Siboniso Gonya in just 11 seconds in 2017, setting a world-title fight knockout record.
SAPS has appealed to anyone with credible information to contact Crime Stop on 08600 10111. Police said they will provide further updates as the investigation progresses.
Gayton McKenzie appeals for information after Zolani Tete murder
Briefly News also reported that Sports, Arts and Culture Minister Gayton McKenzie had appealed to the public for information following the murder of former world champion Zolani Tete.
The minister urged anyone who may have witnessed the incident or knows anything about the attack to assist investigators.
PAY ATTENTION: Follow Briefly News on Twitter and never miss the hottest topics! Find us at @brieflyza!
Source: Briefly News

