Grant Kekana Explains Why Mamelodi Sundowns Are Not Trying to Prove a Point
- Grant Kekana has explained why Mamelodi Sundowns are keeping their attention on their own campaign
- The defender believes the early signs remain encouraging despite some defensive concerns
- Sundowns are looking to build momentum and improve in key areas as they continue their pursuit of another strong season
PAY ATTENTION: Mark Briefly News as a preferred source, and our content will appear higher in your Google feed!

Source: Twitter
Mamelodi Sundowns are not approaching the new season with a point to prove to their rivals, Grant Kekana says, as the club looks to build towards another title challenge.
The veteran defender was speaking ahead of Sundowns' first home Betway Premiership match against Marumo Gallants at Loftus Stadium on Wednesday, 19 August 2026. The Tshwane side surrendered the league title to Orlando Pirates last season but remain the African champions.
Kekana believes Sundowns' performances show the team is progressing.
"If you looked at the way we played against Kaizer Chiefs I think we dominated the ball, so we are still Mamelodi Sundowns, we are still the African champions," he told SABC Sport.
PAY ATTENTION: You can now search for all your favourite news and topics on Briefly News.
Sundowns building towards their best
Rather than expecting an immediate peak, Kekana said the team is still finding its rhythm.
"Sometimes we are not going to start the season sprinting 100 miles an hour," he explained. "It's a build up for us."
He also pointed to their unbeaten start across three matches and said there were "a lot of positives" to take from their performances.

Source: Twitter
Grant Kekana addresses defensive concerns
Sundowns have conceded five goals across three matches in all competitions, with set pieces identified as an area requiring improvement.
Kekana insisted the issue has not caused alarm.
"It's just been unfortunate this season, maybe lapse of concentration here and there," he said. "It's just about us improving how we deal with setpieces."
The focus, therefore, remains on improving Sundowns' own performance rather than responding to their rivals.
Bongani Zungu's surprise move adds another twist for Sundowns
Briefly News previously reported that former Mamelodi Sundowns midfielder Bongani Zungu could be heading for an unexpected new chapter after leaving AmaZulu. The experienced midfielder is reportedly closing in on a move that would take him to a new footballing destination.
The latest development could see Zungu continue his career abroad, adding another international chapter to a journey that has already taken him through several European leagues.
PAY ATTENTION: Follow Briefly News on Twitter and never miss the hottest topics! Find us at @brieflyza!
Source: Briefly News

