Fikile Mbalula Contradicts Mamabolo, Says There Are No Plans to Scrap eTolls

Fikile Mbalula Contradicts Mamabolo, Says There Are No Plans to Scrap eTolls

- Fikile Mbalula's Transport Department has shared that there are no plans to scrap the e-tolls in Gauteng

- In a statement, the Ministry said no decision has been taken regarding the future of e-tolls either

- Earlier on Thursday, Gauteng MEC for Transport Jacob Mamabolo reportedly said that the e-tolls were about to be "imminently" scrapped in the province

PAY ATTENTION: Click “See First” under the “Following” tab to see Briefly.co.za News on your News Feed!

Fikile Mbalula's Ministry of Transport has revealed that there are no plans to scrap e-tolls in Gauteng. Many people took to social media to celebrate the alleged scrapping of the controversial e-toll system after Gauteng MEC for Transport Jacob Mamabolo reportedly said the multi-million-rand system was about to be scrapped.

In a statement released later on Thursday, the Ministry contradicted Mamabolo and said that there has been no final decision on the doing away with Gauteng's e-tolls. Mbalula's Ministry clarified the status of the process in resolving the hot topic of e-tolls.

Read also

Jacob Mamabolo says scrapping billion rand e toll system is "imminent”

Fikile Mbalula Contradicts Mamabolo, Says There Are No Plans to Scrap E Tolls
Fikile Mbalula has contradicted Jacob Mamabolo and said there are no plans to scrap e tolls. Image: @fikilembalula
Source: Instagram

No decision has been taken regarding the future of e-tolls, according to the latest statement. The ministry said an announcement would be made once the matter has been resolved.

News24 reports that during a post-Cabinet briefing on Thursday, Minister in the Presidency Khumbudzo Ntshavheni said Mamabolo was only communicating the position of Gauteng government on the matter.

SAfm News reported earlier that Mamabolo announced on the radio station that a decision had been taken to do away with the e-toll system.

PAY ATTENTION: Never miss breaking news – join Briefly News' Telegram channel!

In related news, Briefly News reported earlier that Mamabolo has said that the decision to cancel e-tolls in the Gauteng region was an imminent one. While Mamabolo made it clear that he was not saying the e-tolls were already scrapped in the area, many people have taken it that way.

Read also

Edward Zuma says he doesn't trust the Judiciary system, Mzansi has mixed reactions

Stephen Grootes recently announced that e-tolls have been scrapped and this left Mamabolo claiming that the radio host had "distorted" his words. Mamabolo then did an interview with a local publication to set the record straight that he did not say it was officially scrapped but rather that the decision was going to be made - eventually.

Meanwhile, locals have already welcomed the news and have had this to say on the matter: Ayondat Silwane said:

"Oops, sadly he has already made a u-turn on that e-toll saga in just less than 3hrs. I guess that's the so-called leadership Mzansi needs right there. I hope to loyal ANC voters, he's the next President in waiting right there. Cause everything in the ANC of our times goes."

Tsholofelo Matlala said:

"Ai these ministers are forever taking decisions but dololo implementation, therefore, no changes."

Dawie Fourie said:

Read also

Shauwn Mkhize opens up about Royal AM's PSL promotion and reactions from fans

"It took them long enough to come to this decision."

Enjoyed reading our story? Download BRIEFLY's news app on Google Play now and stay up-to-date with major South African news!

Source: Briefly.co.za

Online view pixel