It is quite easy to lead a banting lifestyle. This low carb, high-fat diet makes your body switch from burning carbs for energy to burning the fats you eat helping you lose excess fats. You don't have to say bye to the sweet treats you are used to, you just have to tweak things a bit. Here, you will find a few easy to make scrumptious banting dessert recipes that you can indulge yourself in, without worrying about the consequences.
The two key ingredients used include:
- Xylitol, it is a sweetener that contains 40% of the calories of sugar. Tim Noakes in 'the Real meal revolution' recommends it as the best sugar substitute.
- Almond flour, which is the best option compared to regular flour. This is because it is low in carbs, packed with nutrients, sweeter in taste and reduces the 'bad cholesterol' in the body.
These two ingredients are a shift from the usual ingredients used in making desserts. For a banting dessert, they are the best alternatives. Now lets get into the delicious stuff:
Banting cake recipe
This recipe is for a chocolate banting cake. This cake looks great, tastes amazing and is a dessert fit for any occasion.
- 1½ cups of almond flour
- ½ tablespoon of bicarbonate of soda
- 6 tablespoons of cocoa powder (unsweetened)
- 1 cup of powdered xylitol
- 150 ml of olive oil
- ½ cup of boiling water
- 1 pinch of salt
- 3 eggs
- 2 tablespoons of vanilla extract
- Add the boiling water to the cocoa powder and mix to make a paste.
- Beat a mixture of the eggs, sugar and olive oil for about 3 minutes. This gives it a creamy taste.
- Combine the dry ingredients, which are the almond flour, bicarbonate soda, xylitol and salt. Add them to the mixture.
- Pour this batter into a greased oven dish which is lined at the bottom with baking paper.
- Bake at 170 degrees centigrade for about 45 minutes.
- Before slicing, allow the cake to cool in its mould.
Banting malva pudding
Malva pudding is a pudding with a caramelized exterior and a very spongy interior. This banting pudding is a dessert ideal to be eaten after almost any meal. It can be eaten with custard, icecream or whipped cream.
For the pudding:
- ½ cup of almond flour.
- ½ cup of coconut flour
- 1 teaspoon of bicarbonate soda
- Pinch of salt
- 2 tablespoonful’s of xylitol
- 2 eggs
- 1 tablespoon of apricot jam
- ½ cup of fullcream milk
- 3 teaspoons of vinegar
For the sauce:
- 1 cup of fresh cream
- ½ cup of melted butter
- 3 tablespoons of xylitol
- ½ cup of water
- Preheat the oven to 200 degrees centigrade.
- Grease a baking dish with non-stick spray or butter.
- Beat the eggs while adding the xylitol until the mixture is fluffy. After this, add the jam and beat the mixture again for a creamy consistency.
- Sift the dry ingredients, which include the flours, salt and the bicarbonate of soda together in a separate bowl.
- Pop the butter in a heated saucepan over medium heat for it to melt.
- When the butter is completely melted add vinegar and milk.
- After cooling, add this mixture to the dry ingredients and mix well.
- Pour the resulting batter into the prepared baking dish and bake or 25-30 minutes until it is golden brown.
- While the pudding is in the oven, melt the sauce ingredients in a saucepan over medium heat.
- After removing the pudding from the oven, poke holes into it with a fork and pour the sauce over it. This allows the cake to suck up all the saucy goodness.
This meal serves about 6 people.
Cranberry and orange pound cake
This is a banting cake that tastes as good as it looks. It takes a very short time to bake and is made from readily available ingredients.
For the cake :
- 1¼ cups of almond flour
- 1 teaspoon of baking powder
- Pinch of salt
- 100g of cream cheese (softened)
- One orange zest
- ½ teaspoon of orange extract
- 4 eggs
- ¾ cup of xylitol
- 4 tablespoons of butter (softened)
- 1 cup of frozen cranberries
For the frosting:
- 125 g of cream cheese (softened)
- Fresh cherries
- 5 ml of vanilla extract
- 250 g of whipped cream
- 3 tablespoons of fine xylitol
For the cake:
- Preheat the oven to 180 degrees centigrade.
- Grease the baking dish and line it with baking paper.
- Mix the sweetener and the butter. Add the softened cream cheese to this mixture and beat to combine all the ingredients.
- Add the eggs one at a time. With each addition, beat to combine.
- Add the orange zest and the orange extract and mix the ingredients.
- Add the dry ingredients next, which include the flour, the baking powder and the salt, beat this to combine.
- Place 1/3 of the batter in the pan followed by 1/3 of the cranberries. Follow this procedure continuously alternating between the batter and the cranberries, until they are finished.
- Place the pan in the oven and bake for 35 minutes. Loosely cover the top of the cake with foil to prevent darkening of the top of the cake.
- Bake for another 10 to 20 minutes.
For the frosting:
- Beat the cream cheese to remove the lumps.
- Add xylitol, cream and vanilla and beat with a balloon whisk until firm.
- After frosting, you can add cherries and coconut shavings, which are optional.
READ ALSO: Is dagga legal in South Africa 2018?
Everyone loves a good custard to go with their cakes and almost all kinds of desserts. This simple recipe shows you how to make banting custard. It also explains what to avoid to prevent the custard from becoming a disaster because custard is a very sensitive dish.
- 1 ½ cups of cream
- ½ cup of fullcream milk
- 2 tablespoons of xylitol
- 1 teaspoon of vanilla extract
- 5 egg yolks
- On the stove, heat up a mixture of the cream, milk and vanilla. Remove the saucepan from the heat just when the mixture starts to bubble.
- Put the egg yolks in a bowl and start to whisk them. Make sure the egg whites are as little as possible to reduce the lumpiness.
- Once it is whisked, pour a small amount of the hot cream mixture into the yolks and keep whisking.
- Pour this mixture back into the saucepan under medium heat. If the heat is too low or too high the custard will end up being either burnt or looking like milk.
- The mixture will start to change by sticking to the spoon or the sides of the pot. At this point, you can stop whisking and add the xylitol and salt once it is thick.
This sweet treat recipe is the berry ice pops. They are ideal for a hot summer day or just when you need a cool sweet feeling in your throat. It is very easy to make.
- 2 cups of any herbal tea
- ½ juice of one lemon
- 1 cup of berries (strawberries/raspberries)
- Xylitol or any other sweetener to taste (optional)
- Take the cooled herbal tea and stir into it the lemon juice and the sweetener.
- Chop up the fruits and put it into the ice moulds.
- Fill the moulds up with the tea and place it in the freezer until it is completely set. This should take about 5 hours.
- Serve it and enjoy!
Banting chocolate ice cream
A scoop of ice-cream on a hot Sunday afternoon is absolutely blissful. It is even better if it is banting ice-cream because you can indulge yourself without worrying about the ramifications.
- 1 ½ cups of organic coconut cream
- 1/3 cup of cocoa powder
- ½ cup of xylitol
- ½ teaspoon of vanilla extract
- To the coconut cream add the ½ cup of xylitol and the 1/3 cup of cocoa powder
- Blend well until it is smooth and creamy
- Add the extract into this mixture and blend again
- Pour into the moulds and freeze until it is set
Banting chocolate nut squares
This is an easy to make crunchy dessert that is sweet and packed with many flavors which go very well together.
For the crust made of nuts:
- 1 ½ cups of almonds
- 5-6 fresh pitted dates
- ¼ cup of cacao nibs
- ½ cup of shredded coconut
- 1/3 cup of coconut oil
- Pinch of salt
For the chocolate filling:
- ½ cup of cocoa powder
- 1 teaspoon of cinnamon
- ¼ cup of sweetener
- ¼ cup of coconut oil
- Chop the nuts and the dates into small pieces, combine all the nuts crust ingredients
- Place the mixture evenly onto a non-stick pan and place in the freezer
- To make the filling, you first mix the coconut oil with the cocoa powder
- Add to this mixture honey/ molasses and the cinnamon
- Take the crust out of the freezer and top it with the filling. Keep it in for about an hour
This list covers almost every banting dessert recipe type you can think of from ice cream, to cakes and pudding. Be sure to enjoy your banting lifestyle with these tasty treats.