Ayanda Dlodlo is a fierce lady who has successfully become a political leader and influencer in an otherwise male-dominated arena. She is an inspiration to many women who are now coming out of the private spheres and facing the world with confidence. She is also a mother who proves that a woman can indeed have it all. She deserves recognition and appreciation for her work.
Miss Ayanda Dlodlo is currently serving as Minister of Public Service and Administration at the National Assembly. She successfully contested and won a seat in the current Parliament before this appointment. Who is Dlodlo? She is a South African citizen who was born on the 22nd of May 1963. Ayanda Dlodlo is 55 years old. When she was a toddler, her parents relocated to Swaziland to escape the harsh reality of the apartheid rule.
Most of her formative years were spent in Swaziland. Later on, her parents dissolved their marriage, and then she moved to Johannesburg with her mother. She did not live very long in the city because she had to leave for Angola. At only 17, she was bold enough to become an active member of uMkhonto weSizwe. This was in 1980 while she was still living in Angola.
While she was in Angola, Dlodlo underwent military training. She obtained more military training in the Union of Soviet Socialist Republics. She later pursued postgraduate studies in Management Development, Shipping and Transport Management, and Business Management and Executive Development Programme in England.
Dlodo got married in her younger years. Ayanda Dlodlo also had a cousin called Theophilus Dlodlo, who unfortunately, was murdered in 1987. She barely talks about her late husband in the media. In the marriage, Dlodo and her husband were blessed with a son named Thabang Mnisi.
Following the military training she received, Ayanda Dlodlo served in several camps across Angola. She then flew to England to study before coming back to her homeland in 1994. Ayanda Dlodlo Cape Town job experiences included working for Telkom, Sanlam and Portnet. It was not long before she followed her dream of joining politics. She bagged the position of secretary general of uMkhonto weSizwe Military Veterans Association.
Since then, this fierce lady who is a member of the African National Congress (ANC) has held different positions in her political career. Starting with her current positions, these are;
- She is the Minister of Public Service and Administration at Parliament (National Assembly.) She was appointed to this position on February 26th, 2018.
- She is a member of parliament (National Assembly.) She has held this position since May 21st, 2014.
- She is the contact of her constituency at the African National Congress Constituency Office since May 21st, 2014.
- She is an active member of the African National Congress.
Her former positions were:
- She was the Minister of Home Affairs at National Executive. She held this position starting 17th October 2017 to 26th February 2018.
- On 30th of March 2017, Ayanda Dlodlo was appointed Minister of Communications at National Executive, a position she held until 17th October 2017.
- Dlodlo was also Deputy Minister of Public Service and Administration in the Executive wing of government from 26th May 2014. She left this post on the 30th of March 2017.
- She served as an elected member of the National Assembly until 21st May 2014. Her constituents had selected her as their representative in Parliament on the 16th of May 2014.
- Dlodlo was the 45th Candidate of the African National Congress election that was held nationally in 2014. She remained on this election list from the 22nd of April 2014 until the 7th of May 2014.
- She was also the contact of the constituency in the ANC Constituency Office 337 (Fetakgomo) from the 10th of May 2014 until the 6th of May 2014.
- She was also a member of the parliament from the 6th of May 2009 until the 6th of May 2014.
- She served as an active member of the Ethics and Members’ Interest Joint Committees. She left this position on the 6th of May 2014.
- From 31st October 2010, she was the Deputy Minister of Public Service and Administration at the Executive until 24th April 2014.
- She was also a member of the former National Executive Committee of the African National Congress before the current 80 members took up the role.
- She has previously served as the chair of the Legislature and Governance subcommittee.
- She was also the National Deputy of the Directorate for Special Operation in the Law enforcement unit.
- She previously headed the Department of Safety and Security in the Gauteng Province.
Minister Dlodlo faced a lot of backlash on social media after it was reported that she implied that Cape Town is a country. Through the Department of Home Affairs, she denied the claims and called out reporters for defaming her. In March 2019, she was also found in breach of the code of ethics. In 2015, she stayed at a luxury hotel in Dubai but did not disclose all the details. Her action was rebuked, and she accepted the penalty that was issued by the relevant authorities.
Ayanda Dlodlo Cars
Similar to all other ministers in government, Dlodlo's job affords her a lavish lifestyle. Despite this fact, Ayanda Dlodlo uses only department's official vehicle. Thus, it is not known whether she owns any brands of luxury vehicles.
Dlodlo has active pages on Twitter and Instagram. She often uses these platforms to update the public on significant political developments. She also educates the people about South Africa's history. Her Twitter account has about 23.2k followers whereas the Instagram account has over 1k followers.
Ayanda Dlodlo is a tough woman who has carved out her path as a political leader in South Africa. Her strength and determination have seen her holding positions of power and might in the government. Despite being widowed at a young age, Dlodlo is raising her son in the best way she can. May she prosper in her future endeavours.