The South African National Roads Agency has caused a lot of controversy since the time they introduced the SANRAL etag back in 2013. Most of Gauteng highways have been fitted with etoll gantries, and these can recognise cars using their vehicle license plates. In this article, we tell you how you can get an etag, what it is used for, and how you can get discounts just by getting it.
SANRAL is the body responsible for the national road network in the whole country. The vast bulk of these roads are those between major cities.
An e-tag is a small electronic device fitted on the inside of a vehicle's windscreen. It is linked to a vehicle's licence plate number, vehicle type, and SANRAL e toll account.
Gauteng road users need to purchase one because this allows you a discount of up to 48% of all the toll fees as opposed to road users who don't have etags.
How do etags work?
They work as electronic tolling gantries, each time a car passes under the gantry on one of Gauteng's highways, they scan the license plate or the etag disc using the etag checkers.
Where can I buy an etag?
Gauteng e-road users can get an Independent Communications Authority of South Africa (ICASA) approved e-Tag at:
- Checkers, Pick, n Pay and Shoprite at a price of R49.95
- An E-toll Customer Service Outlet, located at a mall or along the Gauteng e-road
- By ordering it online at sanral.co.za
- By calling 0800 726 725
Where do I register an e-toll account?
So how do I register for an etag? The procedure of registering your e-toll account is effortless and straightforward. You can do it by:
- Visiting SANRAL e toll customer service centres, located at a mall or along the Gauteng e-road
- Registering online at sanral.co.za etoll
- Printing the registration form available from the e-toll website and faxing it to 0800 726 725 or emailing it to email@example.com
- Calling the e-toll call centre at 0800 726 725
- Using the app found on Android and Apple devices
To make it easier for South Africans to access their accounts, the agency released an app on the 17th of July 2018. It allows users to manage their accounts quickly, conveniently and securely.
The app is used to:
- View your account balance
- SANRAL etag top up for your account
- Update your contact details
- See and download transaction details
- View and download statements, invoices, and receipts
- Quickly contact customer services
- Log an enquiry
- Manage your vehicles and tags
Note: In case you already have a SANRAL account, you do not need to register again with the app. You use your SANRAL etag login details. The e-toll login should work.
However, you may not remember the password, and you can remedy this by resetting it on the main page of the app by using the Recovery feature. Once this is done, you can try SANRAL e toll login again. If this does not work, contact the call centre at 0800726725.
How do I pay my etag bill?
When using an etag SANRAL, you are offered several methods of payment, depending on your preference. You can either:
- Load up your etag account with credit. This is the SANRAL etag prepaid option
- Pay at any SANRAL outlet
- Pay at any selected retailer
- Pay online on the website portal or on the application
SANRAL etag batteries
The batteries should last up to 5 years. If the tag beeps up to 4 times in a row or stops beeping when you pass under a gantry, it may be time to replace it.
South African National Roads Agency has a vast connective system, therefore, the contacts are several. Listed below are the key contacts, but you can obtain more at their official website.
You can access their corporate offices at:
- 48 Tambotie Avenue, Val de Grace, Pretoria, 0184
- P.O. Box 415, Pretoria, 0001
- Telephone number: 012 844 8000
- Fax number: 012 844 8200
- Website: nra.co.za
The official website for all regions is the official NRA website.
- 58 van Eck Place, Mkondeni, Pietermaritzburg, 3201
- P.O. Box 100410, Scottsville, 3209
- Telephone number: 033 392 8100
- Fax number: 033 386 6284
- Located opposite Entrance 41, 100 Baywest Boulevard, Baywest City, Port Elizabeth, 6017
- P.O. Box 27230, Greenacres, 6057
- Telephone number: 041 398 3200
- Fax number: 041 398 3222
- 38 Ida Street, Menlo Park, 0081, Tshwane, Private Bag X17, Lynnwood Ridge, 0040
- Telephone number: 012 426 6200
- Fax number: 012 348 1512
- 1 Havenga Street, Oakdale, Bellville, 7530, Private Bag X19, Bellville, 7535
- Telephone number: 021 957 4600
- Fax number: 021 910 1966
That is everything you need to know about the purchase, fitting, applications and SANRAL etag login. Despite all the controversy surrounding this tolling system, the president recently announced that the tag payment collections be suspended temporarily to reduce pressure on the taxpayers.