MultiChoice is one of the companies that believe in using the power of entertainment to enhance lives. The company achieves this goal by airing local and international content that brings people together. These services are spearheaded by the different versions of DStv decoders that the company has released.
These details will help you evaluate the next step that you should take in case you need to a replacement or a repair.
Details about repairing and changing DStv decoders
If you are planning to switch to this service, these details on DStv decoder lifecycle could come in handy. That way, you will be able to evaluate the possible DStv decoder problems and solutions.
A new DStv decoder
This is the first category, and it comprises of decoders that have been manufactured in South Africa. They include:
- Explora (Model 2A)
- Explora (Model 3A)
- Single View HD Decoder
New decoders come with a one-year DStv decoder warranty. However, a user is advised to get insurance cover to offer security for any electrical or mechanical faults, theft, explosion, lightning or fire. The insurance will also provide a cover when the decoder is no longer supported.
Old but repairable decoders
This category comprises of old DStv decoders that are still functional although the company stopped manufacturing them. Usually, they could be functional even without getting new features. The company charges a fee of R290 for a Single View decoder and R600 for a PVR for a standard repair. However, if you have an insurance cover, you will not be required to pay a dime.
These are the DStv decoder models that if not supported, the insurance cover will take care of the repair charges:
- HD PVR 2P
- HD PVR 2U
- HD PVR 4 Tuner (Pace)
During the process, one will be required to present the unsupported model in exchange for a refurbished one. The refurbished model comes with a six-month guarantee. The unsupported model that a user will present will be taken to the DStv decoder repair centre in Johannesburg.
Old but irreparable decoders
This category comprises of the models which are referred to as the end of support. This is so because they do not have the memory capacity or the processing power to accommodate the new upgrades. For this reason, a user might experience freeze-ups and limited access to some of the channels.
Since some of these models cannot be serviced, MultiChoice has offered the trade in old DStv decoder option where the old model is exchanged for the latest model. This option is only applicable to users who do not have an insurance cover.
Users who have an insurance cover can get a DStv decoder upgrade alongside other packages which are guarded by terms and conditions. These packages include:
- A package where a user can add Showmax to their DStv account
- A package that allows a user to access BoxOffice Online Service using the DStv desktop player
- DStv Business Subscriptions
- The DStv Stay web service
- Access to DStv Now
- Access to DStv Price Lock
- Access to JOOX
- Access to BoxOffice on your PVR
- Participation in the competitions that MultiChoice conducts or promotes
- Access to a flexible DStv payment plan
- Access to the R799 deal
- Access to the MultiChoice website
HD PVR 4 Tuner (UEC)
If you own an HD PVR 4 Tuner (UEC), you will still have access to your DStv services, although the access might be limited. However, you can opt for a DStv decoder swap to a DStv Explora at a fee of R600 at any of the service centres. This fee does not include the installation charges; hence, you ought to consult any of the accredited installers for the installation charges.
This model allows for access to the services of the company; however, a user cannot access some of the services on the latest satellite; which adds more content and channels. Ad a result, MultiChoice has provided the following trade-in options:
- A DStv Explora decoder for R599. The payment does not include the cost of installation. A user is required to bring along their active SD PVR and smartcard to any of the agencies or service centres in the country for them to get this deal.
- A DStv Explora PLUS decoder for R799. This fee is inclusive of installation, and this package is only available for users who use their satellite dishes. A user will be required to present their active SD PVR and a smartcard to any of the service centres or agencies in the country.
- DStv Explora PLUS HD Single View decoder for R1,599. This fee is inclusive of installation, and it is only available for users who use their satellite dishes. A user will be required to present SD PVR and a smartcard during the trade-in process.
- A DStv Explora PLUS an HD Single View decoder at a fee of R79 per month for 24 months. This package comes with free installation and delivery services, although it is only accessible to users who use their satellite dishes. Payments for this package can only be made by debit order, and a credit check has to be conducted beforehand. To access this package, a user can text the word YES to 42506.
- 2 DStv Explora’s PLUS decoders at R129 per month for 24 months. This package comes with free delivery and installation, although it is limited to individuals who use their satellite dishes. Payments are only made via debit order, and a credit check has to be conducted beforehand. For access, a user should text the word YES to 42506.
These are the trade-in options that are available for the Dual View model:
- 2 single view HD decoders at a fee of R799. This fee does not include installation charges.
- A DStv Explora model for R799. This fee does not include the installation charges, and a user will not be able to access two channels concurrently; hence, they will be required to provide a second decoder. This package is also suitable for individuals who use their satellite dishes.
Single View decoders
These are the models that are covered in the trade-in option: 660, 720, 720i, 910, 933 and 990. A user can trade any of the models mentioned above for a DStv HD Decoder at a fee of R34; which does not include the charges for installation.
These are some of the questions that also demystify the subject and the possible solutions that one can go for.
What can I do with my old DStv decoder?
If you have an old model, you could trade it in for a more advanced one.
Can I use my old DStv decoder?
If you have any of the Single View models, you will have access to its services, although some of the upgrades might not be supported. In case you need an upgrade, you can trade-in your old model for a more advanced one at a fee.
Which is the latest DStv decoder?
The latest model is the DStv HD Decoder 6, which was launched on 2nd May 2019.
Can DStv decoder be repaired?
MultiChoice has provided a service where old decoders that require repairing are exchanged for refurbished ones.
READ ALSO: MultiChoice contact details, head office, branches, trading hours, vacancies
How much does it cost to replace a DStv decoder?
The charges for replacing a PVR decoder is R600 and R290 for any of the Single View models. However, if you have an insurance cover, you will not be required to pay a dime.
These details have provided insight on what a user should do in case they are unsatisfied with the scope of services offered by their DStv decoders. In case of inquiries, the company advises users to seek help from the agencies and accredited installers. Also, note that the prices are subject to change.
- How to cancel DStv subscription?
- How to connect DStv Explora in 2020
- DStv drops prices everywhere in Africa except SA, Mzansi has questions