Fact Check: No, King Goodwill Zwelithini Has Not Passed Away

Fact Check: No, King Goodwill Zwelithini Has Not Passed Away

- Rumours that King Goodwill Zwelithini had passed away on had flooded social media this week

- With the King in poor health, many were inclined to believe that he had indeed died

- Briefly.co.za explores the facts of the situation to determine if there is any truth to the claims

PAY ATTENTION: Join Briefly News' Telegram channel! Never miss important updates!

Wednesday night social media was buzzing with the speculation that King Goodwill Zwelithini had passed away.

However, IFP founder Mangosuthu Buthelezi has since come forward to address the rumours that the King had fallen.

The fact that Goodwill had been admitted to ICU on Sunday following 'several unstable glucose readings' had further fueled the fire of disinformation.

Buthelezi dismissed these rumours as not only 'false' but 'cruel' as well commenting that:

“Since the announcement of His Majesty the King’s visit to hospital on Sunday, I and those close to the king have been inundated with calls, seeking an update."
Churchgoer drops note into collection, says he won't donate as pastor has a jet

While Buthelezi says that the concern is understandable, he made the current situation clear:

“However, several false rumours have also begun circulating that His Majesty’s health is being kept a secret, and even, most cruelly, that His Majesty is no more. I wish to allay the concerns of the nation regarding these fables."

Buthelezi confirmed that the King had indeed been admitted to hospital but that he was not frail:

“His Majesty entered hospital to attend to high glucose levels. He was not, and is still not, frail in any way. Even this morning, he is fully mobile and is continuing treatment for unstable glucose. His doctors preferred that he be treated in ICU in order to attend to this thoroughly."

The politician wondered why these 'cruel, false' rumours that the monarch had passed away would be spread in the first place:

“It has inflicted tremendous pain on the royal family and on all those who wish the king of the Zulu nation well. Unfortunately, such grossly irresponsible behaviour has been seen before.”
Tito Mboweni demands corrupt "rats and mice" be booted from ANC

Buthelezi signaled his hopes that, in a time where social media made situations like this easier for those spreading disinformation, the correct channels would provide the truth to the public:

“In the age of social media, false news is disseminated like wildfire. One can only hope that those who report the news on official channels would have the discernment to treat such serious matters on the basis of fact.”

Meanwhile, Briefly.co.za reported that IFP MP Mangosuthu Buthelezi has recovered from Covid-19, his family confirmed in a statement on Thursday, 20 August.

The 91-year-old leader received a negative test result on Thursday, family spokesperson Bhekuyise Buthelezi said.

The politician has recovered just in time for his 92nd birthday celebration on 27 August. Briefly.co.za reported that Buthelezi tested positive on 8 August.

He revealed that he was asymptomatic when he tested positive. He remained showed no signs of the virus until his recovery.

Alan Winde condemns assault of journalist at Fish Hoek Beach protest
"We, the family of Prince Mangosuthu Buthelezi, are pleased to confirm that uMntwana wa KwaPhindangene has completed the mandatory period of self-isolation after being diagnosed positive for Covid-19 on August 8."

Enjoyed reading our story? Download BRIEFLY's news app on Google Play now and stay up-to-date with major South African news!

Source: Briefly.co.za

Online view pixel