All Blacks Legend Accuses Rassie Erasmus of ‘Conspiracy Theory’ on Rugby’s Greatest Rivalry Tour

All Blacks Legend Accuses Rassie Erasmus of ‘Conspiracy Theory’ on Rugby’s Greatest Rivalry Tour

  • The All Blacks’ South African tour has raised fresh questions ahead of their much-anticipated clash with the Springboks in Johannesburg
  • A former All Blacks great has now weighed in on the tour, with his comments adding an unexpected twist before Saturday’s Test
  • The debate has put the spotlight on South Africa’s approach to the provincial matches and what New Zealand can expect at Ellis Park
Rassie Erasmus accused of consipiracy
All Blacks legend John Kirwan has questioned Rassie Erasmus over a ‘conspiracy theory’ during Rugby’s Greatest Rivalry tour before the Springboks Test. Image: David Rogers / Getty Images
Source: Getty Images

All Blacks legend John Kirwan has questioned Rassie Erasmus’ approach to the Rugby’s Greatest Rivalry tour, suggesting the New Zealanders may not have encountered the full Springbok challenge in their provincial matches.

Speaking on the Rugby Rivals podcast, Kirwan raised what he described as a “conspiracy theory” surrounding the way the South African sides approached their matches against New Zealand.

“I think it’s a bit more of a conspiracy theory out there,” Kirwan said as reported by SA Rugby Magazine.

Read also

All Blacks fly in 140kg front-row enforcer as injury crisis deepens ahead of Springboks clash

“Rassie has told those provincial sides not to play anything like the Springboks.”

PAY ATTENTION: You can now search for all your favourite news and topics on Briefly News.

He pointed to the absence of tactics such as high kicks, kicking for the corner and maul pressure.

“It’s pretty sad for the relationship and for the tour,” Kirwan added. “I get it, I would do exactly the same if I was Rassie and not release the players.”

Victor Matfield defends the Springboks boss

Matfield pushed back on the suggestion that the provincial teams could simply have produced a closer preview of the Springboks. He highlighted the inexperience in the Sharks side, saying:

“They were kids; there were probably three guys who were still at school last year. A really young team with no experience.”

He also pointed to the Bulls’ second-half improvement after Johan Grobbelaar and Elrigh Louw entered the contest, saying the difference was clear once greater experience was added.

The All Blacks defeated the Stormers, Sharks and Vodacom Bulls during the tour. Matfield also highlighted South Africa’s changing provincial depth, saying it was not comparable with 15 or 20 years ago.

Read also

Rassie Erasmus explains why Springboks are delaying All Blacks squad announcement

Rassie Erasmus accused of conspiracy by All Blacks legend
Rassie’s tour strategy questioned before massive Springboks Test. Image: Alejandro Pagni / AFP
Source: Getty Images

Kirwan believes more players could have featured

Kirwan acknowledged why Erasmus may have wanted to keep his key players fresh for the Test. However, he believed the Springboks boss could have made greater use of the wider squad during the provincial matches.

With 44 players in the touring group and only 23 able to feature in a Test match, Kirwan felt there was room to expose more squad members to the All Blacks without compromising the main Test preparations.

“I reckon you could take a bit more of a risk with” some of those players, he said.

The discussion now shifts from the provincial games to the main event. The Springboks will face the All Blacks at Ellis Park on Saturday, 22 August 2026, with New Zealand set to encounter a far more experienced South African line-up.

Springboks keep Test plans under wraps

Briefly News also reported that Rassie Erasmus is taking his time before confirming his Springboks squad for the All Blacks series, with the announcement scheduled for Thursday, 20 August 2026.

Read also

All Blacks’ Bulls win gives Springboks plenty to think about before first Test

The Springboks boss has chosen not to reveal his selections yet, keeping New Zealand in the dark as the first Test at Ellis Park draws closer.

The move comes as attention remains firmly on how both teams have approached preparations for Saturday’s showdown.

Source: Briefly News

Authors:
Dzikamai Matara avatar

Dzikamai Matara Dzikamai Matara is a sports writer at Briefly News. He previously worked as a news and current affairs editor at iHarare for eight years. Before that, he was a profiler, sports, human interest, entertainment, and current affairs writer at Pindula for two years, where he produced profiles and news articles. He completed two years of Mechanical Engineering coursework at the Massachusetts Institute of Technology (MIT). He has also completed YOAST SEO for Beginners (2023), YOAST Block Editor Training (2023), and YOAST Structured Data for Beginners (2023).