Rassie Erasmus Provides Update on Cheslin Kolbe and Kurt-Lee Arendse After Injury Concerns
- The Springboks were left concerned after 2 key wingers were forced off during their disappointing night at Ellis Park
- Rassie Erasmus has now provided an update on the fitness of Cheslin Kolbe and Kurt-Lee Arendse ahead of the next Test
- The latest developments could have an impact on the Springboks’ selection plans as they prepare for the Cape Town clash
PAY ATTENTION: Mark Briefly News as a preferred source, and our content will appear higher in your Google feed!

Source: UGC
Rassie Erasmus has provided an update on Cheslin Kolbe and Kurt-Lee Arendse after both Springboks wingers left Saturday’s 33-16 defeat to New Zealand at Ellis Park on 22 August 2026.
The injuries caused concern during a difficult evening for the Boks. Arendse departed in the ninth minute after going for a head injury assessment (HIA), while Kolbe was replaced in the 58th minute.
According to SA Rugby Magazine, Erasmus offered different assessments of the 2 incidents.
“I think Cheslin was more cramp than anything else,” the Springbok coach said.

Read also
Dave Rennie counters Springboks claims, submits video ‘evidence’ of All Blacks concerns to officials
PAY ATTENTION: You can now search for all your favourite news and topics on Briefly News.
Rassie Erasmus explains Arendse HIA
Erasmus said Arendse’s early departure was not simply a tactical decision.
“Kurt-Lee’s mouthguard pinged and the match doctor didn’t clear him,” he explained.
That development could be particularly significant because players who fail an HIA are generally subject to a minimum 10-day stand-down period before they can return to selection.
Losing both wings disrupted Erasmus’ planned combinations and forced positional changes during the match.

Source: Twitter
Springboks face Cape Town selection questions
The Boks now trail 1-0 in the four-match Rugby’s Greatest Rivalry series after New Zealand scored five tries in the victory.
Erasmus was also blunt about the performance, saying:
“We didn’t have to learn from this. We knew what we had to do on the day and we didn’t do it.”
The focus now turns to the medical assessments and whether Kolbe and Arendse can be available for the next Test in Cape Town.
Springboks injury concerns add to pressure before Cape Town Test
Briefly News previously reported that the All Blacks had moved above the Springboks in the World Rugby rankings after their 33-16 victory at Ellis Park on Saturday, 22 August.
The defeat ended South Africa’s 12-match winning streak and gave New Zealand a 1-0 lead in the 4-Test series. With the rematch in Cape Town approaching, attention will now turn to whether the Springboks can respond and which players will be available for the crucial encounter.
PAY ATTENTION: Follow Briefly News on Twitter and never miss the hottest topics! Find us at @brieflyza!
Source: Briefly News
