Applying make up perfectly on one's face is not easy. While most people can claim to do it well, the fact remains, not everyone is artistic enough to do it flawlessly. So, while the definition of beauty varies from one person to another, one thing that we can all agree on is that everyone wants to look good, and that is why the cosmetic market is a billion dollar industry. For a beginner, knowing how to apply makeup may seem daunting considering that there are so many tutorials and products one can learn from. However, the trick to getting a faultless picture-perfect look is to buy products that are right for your skin type and skin tone.
Basic makeup essentials for a beginner
There are thousands of beauty products and tools available in beauty stores. If you are a beginner, then you do not want to waste money buying a lot of beauty items that you will not need. Instead, newbies who are serious about knowing how to put on makeup must have these items.
Mom shares video of adorable baby eating salt and vinegar chip, and SA can’t get enough: 'He is too cute’
- Makeup brushes
- Beauty blender sponge
- Primer or moisturiser
- Brow pencil
How to do makeup step by step
1. Start by applying the primer and moisturiser
A primer or a moisturiser provides the perfect base for making your makeup look good. Both of these products are applied before you put any makeup to ensure smooth foundation application and allowing your makeup to last throughout the day.
How to apply primer and moisturiser
- Wash your face with a soap that is ideal for your skin type.
- Using a sponge or your fingertips, apply your favourite moisturiser all over your face from the centre and work your way out while avoiding the eyelids.
- Allow the moisturiser to fully be absorbed for 2-5 minutes before applying your primer.
- Squeeze your primer on a flat brush or using your fingertips.
- Apply and blend the primer on the eyelids starting from the lash line and into the brows and under the eyes from your nose outwards.
- Give the primer a minute to be absorbed so that it can create a smooth surface. For oily skin, avoid using moisturisers and instead only use a primer.
2.7 million people watch hilarious video of baby washing disposable diapers—mothers everywhere can relate
2. Apply the foundation
After applying the moisturiser and primer, the next step of how to apply makeup is using a foundation. For a beginner, it is best to use a foundation that gives full coverage and a natural-looking effect. It should also match your undertone and skin shade. An excellent way to test this is to match your foundation in natural light, like in front of a window.
How to apply foundation
- Add two pumps on your foundation sponge or brush.
- Dab the foundation onto your skin without forgetting the neck.
- Blend the foundation outwards starting from the centre of the face and extending to the ears.
- Take a wet beauty blender sponge and gently dab it over your face. This technique helps melt the foundation into your skin.
- Finally, using the pointed tip of the beauty blender sponge, blend out the foundation around the eyes and nose area.
3. Apply pressed powder if you used a liquid foundation
Most men are quick to say that they do not like a woman with makeup because of the cakey look. Ladies, leave the cakey look for delicious cakes. Otherwise be careful with the compact or setting powder as a lot of it can accentuate wrinkles and make you look older.
To apply powder, you first have to know your T zones especially if you have oily skin. Concentrate the powder on oily areas of your face by dabbing powder using a small brush and then lightly sweeping over those areas.
For ladies with normal or dry skin, avoid pressing powder on your face. Instead, sweep all over the face to ensure your makeup remains beautiful all day long. Another trick that allows the powder to sit evenly especially for ladies with oily skin is to put a blotting paper on the oily areas to remove excess oil.
Then, choose a compact powder that is light yet will stop the foundation from separating. When it comes to makeup, if your goal is to learn what works for your face, keeping it simple is key.
4. Apply the concealer
Investing in a concealer palette that has several shades is always a great option. This is because a yellow concealer tends to work for small purple bruises or purple imperfections while an orange concealer is for camouflaging dark circles. On the other hand, green concealer is for acne, blemishes or redness. So, if your face has more than one imperfection, then you will need more than one type of concealer.
How to apply a concealer
- Create inverted triangles using a concealer.
- Blend the product using a beauty sponge.
- Look upwards to stretch your under-eye slightly and blend the concealer.
- If you have blemishes or acne scars, then use a small concealer brush and apply the product on the spots.
- Blend the product in the surrounding skin using a circular motion.
Tricks for beginners on how to use a concealer
- Always go for a concealer that is two shade lighter than your skin tone and one shade lighter than the foundation.
- Go for lightweight concealers to avoid getting the cakey look.
- Use concealer to cover up make up application mistakes.
- If you have a thick concealer, then dabbing a small amount of the product will be enough to give good coverage.
- When it comes to how to put on makeup for beginners, the trick to always getting it right is to apply liquid and cream beauty products before powder products. Therefore, if you have a powder foundation and a liquid concealer, then you must apply the concealer first and then the foundation.
- If you are using a liquid concealer, after blending the product, you need to set your under-eye using a setting powder. This helps prevent the cakey effect and creasing of the fine lines.
5. Apply the bronzer
A bronzer is a must have in your makeup bag as it adds dimension and warmth to the face. Just like when choosing a foundation, with a bronzer, you also need to consider your undertone. For example, a bronzer with orange undertones is ideal for olive to darker skin tones.
How to apply bronzer
Understanding makeup tutorials step by step is not just about the products you use but also the brushes. A fluffy brush is the best for applying a bronzer. The right way to apply a bronzer is where the sun tends to hit: on top of the cheekbones, the bridge of the nose and across the forehead. Here is a step by step guide on how to apply your bronzer:
- Gently dab the fluffy brush on the bronzer.
- Tap off any excess product.
- Apply the bronzer across the hairline in a circular motion.
- Dab the brush in the bronzer and swipe the product in a line starting from the ear to the apple of the cheeks.
- Blend the product out using circular strokes.
- Continue defining your look by blending more of the bronzer along the edges of the jawline up to the chin.
- Continue blending under your chin and neck.
- Finally, use a small amount of the bronzer to define your nose by sweeping it down on each side of the nose.
6. Apply the blush
The blush gives your face a pop of colour, but applying this product depends on your face shape and skin tone. To make your blush look fantastic, choose a shade that complements your skin. Bright reds and orange are perfect for women with dark skin as they create a beautiful contrast.
How to apply the blush
The blush can quickly transform your face if you know how to use it based on your face shape. While there are specific makeup tutorials for dark skin, when it comes to blush, all women look fantastic when it is concentrated on the apples of the cheeks. Here is a simple method to follow when applying blush:
- Sweep a fluffy brush with a flattened head on your blush and tap to remove the excess.
- Contort your face as if you are smiling and apply the blush on the apples of your cheeks in circular motions.
- Blend it in using a blush brush.
- If you have sharp cheeks, then apply the brush starting from the back near the ears and drag the colour forward towards the beginning of the apples.
- Ladies with heart face shapes should apply the blush along the cheekbones and diffuse it upwards towards the temple. To bring your face together, you will need to add a bit of blush to the forehead and sides of brow if you have an oblong face.
- For ladies with a round face, the fullest part of the face is the cheeks so avoid blending the blush towards the nose. Ladies with square faces will achieve a natural look by sweeping the blush down to the nose.
7. Draw the eyebrows
Newbies in the makeup world will not be happy to know that drawing the eyebrows is a skill that takes time to learn. But even with all the trouble, knowing how to draw the eyebrows is essential as perfect eyebrows help to frame the face. You can easily avoid the crooked eyebrows by using eyebrow stencils which ensure that you always have a natural look. However, even with stencils, you still need to know how to fill in the eyebrows. Here is a simple step by step guide:
- Start by brushing your eyebrows using a spoolie brush. This is to create the natural shape of the brow and bring out any uneven brow hairs.
- Using tweezers, pluck out the stray hairs which can be in between, above and below the eyebrows.
- Next, use a brown eye pencil to outline your ideal brow shape. Make sure it follows your natural shape.
- Using the eye pencil, fill in the eyebrows by colouring in between the brow shape; use short strokes to mimic the eyebrow hairs.
- Dip a flat angled brush in your concealer and use the product to outline the brows.
- Blend the lines of the concealer using your makeup sponge.
- Brush your highlighter under the arch of the brow to give your eyebrows a perfect look.
- Apply eyeliner on the upper lid and for a dramatic effect, also apply on the lower one.
8. Apply the eyeshadow
When it comes to eyeshadow make up application, it is all about having fun with colours.
- First, choose your favourite three shades: a main tone which will be the focus colour, a lighter shade like silver or gold and a darker eyeshadow which should be darker than your main shade.
- Apply your main shadow on the eyelid with a flat eyeshadow brush.
- Apply the dark eyeshadow on the crease.
- Using an angled brush, apply the lighter shade in the inner corner of the eyelids to highlight your eyes.
- Complete your look with your favourite lipstick and mascara.
Makeup does make a difference in how physical attractiveness is perceived. Whether for a special event or a simple everyday look, knowing how to apply makeup can take years off your face and give you a youthful look. The trick is to use the right products to enhance your best facial features. By following the above step by step makeup tutorial, you will look amazing all the time.
- How to do eyebrows at home
- Meet Thato, the co-founder of R&M Makeup studios
- Young woman's amazing makeup transformation shocks Twitter
Source: Briefly News