The Department of Home Affairs (DHA) is a South African government agency tasked with numerous responsibilities, including civic services and immigration. The department regularly updates a list of jobs considered critical skills. These are skills the department deems critical to the South African economy. Which are these scarce skills in South Africa today?
These scarce skills form the basis for the critical skills work visa given to foreigners looking to get into and work in South Africa.
The top scarce skills in South Africa in 2023
The DHA recently updated the critical skills list, removing some that were previously considered critical and adding new ones. The current list has 101 skills spread across wide-ranging fields. Here is a look at the critical skills in South Africa today.
- Urban and regional planner
- University lecturer
- Transportation electrician
- Town planning technician
- Tax Professional
- Supply and distribution manager
- Software Developer
- Senior phase schoolteacher (grades 8 - 9)
- Research and development manager
- Quantity surveyor
- Quality systems manager
- Programmer Analyst
- Programme or project manager
- Policy and planning manager
- Policy Analyst
- Outbound contact centre consultant
- Organizational risk manager
- Occupational instructor (air-traffic space)
- Nurse educator
- Network analyst
- Naval architect
- Multimedia Specialist
- Multimedia designer
- Mining engineer
- Metal machinist
- Mechatronics technician
- Mechanical engineering technologist
- Mechanical engineering technician
- Mechanical engineer
- Materials scientist
- Market research analyst
- Manufacturing operations manager
- Lift mechanic
- Investment manager
- Investment Analyst
- Investment advisor
- Internal auditor
- Instrument technician
- Industrial engineering technologist
- Industrial Engineer
- Inbound contact centre consultant
- ICT systems analyst
- ICT security specialist
- General biologist
- Forensic accountant
- Food and beverage scientist
- FET phase schoolteacher (grades 10-12)
- External auditor
- Environmental scientist
- Environmental manager
- Engineering manager
- Energy engineering technologist
- Energy engineer
- Electronics engineer
- Electronic engineering technician
- Electrical equipment mechanic
- Electrical engineering technologist
- Director of Enterprise (medium enterprises or larger)
- Developer programmer
- Data scientist
- Data management manager
- Customer service manager (business process outsourcing sector)
- Corporate treasurer
- Corporate general manager (medium enterprises or larger)
- Conservation scientist
- Computers quality assurance analyst
- Computer network and systems engineer
- Climate change scientist
- Civil engineering technologist
- Civil engineer
- Chief information officer
- Chemistry technician
- Chemical engineering technologist
- Chemical engineer
- Call centre manager
- Business development officer
- Biomedical engineer
- Applications programmer
- Air-conditioning and refrigeration mechanic
- Air traffic controller
- Agricultural scientist
- Agricultural engineering technologist
- Agricultural engineer
- Aeronautical engineering technologist
- Aeronautical engineer
Which career fields have skills shortages?
Which are the top high-income skills in South Africa? According to the Matric website in South Africa, some of the career fields with skill shortages include aeronautical engineering, farm management, architecture, actuarial science, and civil engineering.
What are the benefits of pursuing a scarce skills job?
A scarce skills job makes it extremely easy for one to get employment, recognition, promotions, and good pay.
Scarce skills meaning
A scarce skill refers to an occupation in which there is a scarcity of qualified and experienced people, currently or anticipated in the future. This could be because such skilled people are not available or are available but do not meet the current employment criteria.
What are the courses that are in demand in South Africa?
According to Skills Academy, some of the South African university courses in high demand include project management, occupational health and safety, medicine, beauty courses, computer technology & informatics, and engineering.
Which are the most scarce jobs in South Africa?
Some of the most saturated career fields include accountancy, driving, security management, and retail services.
There are numerous scarce skills in South Africa today. These skills vary in educational requirements, industries, and average pay. Still, all of them are incredibly attractive to both locals and foreigners.
Briefly.co.za recently published an article about the highest-demand products in South Africa. Before getting into any income-generating venture, one of the critical aspects to consider is a gap in the market. The gap will determine the possibility of your business succeeding.
Your ability to meet the demand in the market will equally dictate the viability of your business. Getting to know some of the high-demand products in South Africa is a measure of business contingency. Which are the most in-demand products today?
Source: Briefly News