'Hands off our Public Protector': Crowdfunding campaign kicks off

'Hands off our Public Protector': Crowdfunding campaign kicks off

- Democracy in Action has started a funding campaign in answer to the ConCourt's recent ruling against the Public Protector

- Yesterday saw Busisiwe Mkhwebane held personally liable for a staggering legal bill, estimated at around R900 000

- It appears as is the group is attempting to rally Mzansi to stand behind the Public Protector

PAY ATTENTION: Click “See First” under the “Following” tab to see Briefly.co.za News on your News Feed!

Democracy in Action spokesperson, Thabo Mtsweni, says that the funding campaign had kicked off on Monday, closely following the Constitutional Court's ruling.

Briefly.co.za reported that Busisiwe Mkhwebane's application to oppose the original High Court ruling had been set aside, seeing her personally responsible for a steep R900 000 legal bill.

Mtsweni revealed why his group had started the campaign, commenting that:

"We decided to start the campaign to help the public protector to pay the costs."

PAY ATTENTION: Do you want to know what's trending on Briefly.co.za? Join our WhatsApp group today.

READ ALSO: ANC Veteran Carl Niehaus slams Mkhwebane photo: "It's fake news"

Mtsweni says that the response thus far has been 'amazing', with R8 000 raised so far.

Mkhwebane, according to the spokesman, has received a lot of negative publicity in recent times:

"We feel the public protector needs to be protected and allowed to do her job in fairness. She has received a lot of negative publicity."

Mtsweni explained that they were not fussy over who donates and how much, just as long as the money didn't come from a political party, reports TimesLIVE.

"Any South African can donate. It does not matter how much one donates. We welcome anything."

Enjoyed reading our story? Download BRIEFLY's news app on Google Play now and stay up-to-date with major South African news!

Source: Briefly.co.za

Mailfire view pixel