Tembeka Ngcukaitobi is a South African attorney and currently serves as an advocate of the high court. In 2019, the Johannesburg bar nominated him to senior counsel. He is considered one of the country's most brilliant advocates after playing a crucial role in the former president Jacob Zuma's scandal.
The lawyer has had a quick rise in the South African legal system. His brilliant performance in court and great intellectual capacity has earned him respect across the country. How well do you know the young attorney? Below is a detailed look at his life and law career.
- Full name: Tembeka Nicholas Ngcukaitobi
- Date of birth: 25th December 1976
- Tembeka Ngcukaitobi age: 44 years old
- Nationality: South African
- Tembeka Ngcukaitobi profession: Advocate, author, political activist
- Tembeka Ngcukaitobi Instagram: @tembekangcukaitobi
Who is Tembeka Ngcukaitobi wife? The lawyer has not disclosed his marital status to the public.
Tembeka Ngcukaitobi education
Tembeka is a learned fellow with exemplary qualifications. He went to the University of Transkei for his LLB, Rhodes University for LLM, and later enrolled at the London School of Economics and Political Science to study LLM.
Tembeka's law career is one of the fastest rising in South Africa. He revealed that he made up his mind to pursue the field after learning that his father was studying law at the University of South Africa at the time of his death.
He kicked off his career at the Constitutional Court of South Africa as a law clerk for Chief Justice Arthur Chaskalson. He then joined the Legal Resources Center as a Candidate Attorney before moving to the position of Director of the centre's Constitutional Litigation Unit. As of 2021, he is an Acting Judge at the Land Claims Court of South Africa and an advocate of the high court.
One of Tembeka's major career achievements is the crucial role he has played in Jacob Zuma's scandal. In 2019, he was nominated by the Johannesburg bar to become a senior counsel after practising as a lawyer for only eight years. Such normally requires long experience of between 10 and 15 years.
Tembeka Ngcukaitobi books
Advocate Tembeka Ngcukaitobi SC is also a best-selling author with several books under his belt. His work of literacy includes the following.
- Land Matters: South Africa's Failed Land Reforms and the Road Ahead (April 2021). His new book tackles land redistribution, restitution, and tenure reform, which are complex matters in South Africa today.
- The Land is Ours: South Africa's First Black Lawyers and the Birth of Constitutionalism (2018). The book talks about pioneer black South African attorneys that practised in the late 1990s and early 2000s.
He has also co-authored the following books:
- Collective Bargaining in the Workplace (2011)
- The Constitutional Law Casebook (2012)
Tembeka Ngcukaitobi EFF
The legal practitioner was part of the Economic Freedom Fighters' (EFF) legal team that argued for the release of the state capture report in the North Gauteng High Court in 2016. He became the mastermind behind the filing of papers for the EFF in the Constitutional Court regarding President Jacob Zuma's scandal.
This was after the Cooperative Governance Minister Des van Rooyen sought for the delay of the report's release based on the Gupta family's influence on how the former president ran his administration. His well-thought-out legal arguments and the depth of knowledge from which he discussed the merits of the case made him more popular and commanded the respect of many.
Tembeka Ngcukaitobi news today
In February 2021, former President Jacob Zuma failed to appear before the state capture commission despite a court order to obey the commission's orders. His actions prompted Tembeka SC to submit a legal application to the Constitutional Court saying that the former president should be sentenced to two years in prison.
The advocate argued that his contempt of court and open disdain of the judicial process was a threat to the Constitutional Court's authority. The former president has made it clear that he would rather go to prison than face the Zondo Commission.
Tembeka Ngcukaitobi quotes
Here are some words of wisdom from the celebrated legal practitioner.
- Black people did not only lose the land, they also became enslaved. They lost their cattle and also lost their culture. It was a complete total subjugation of the people.
- South Africa's colonial past is probably one of the most brutal and most violent across the entire European settlement in Africa. Land dispossession was a violent encounter.
- The brutality [of land dispossession] is probably illustrated in the hypocrisy of it. In part, it was called modernity which was meant to be civilization, the imposition of Christianity, and the imposition of education.
- The 1913 (Land Act) has done nothing except to formalize the status quo. This was meant to be a white man's country.
Advocate Tembeka Ngcukaitobi contact details
You can reach the advocate using the following contact information.
- Phone number: 011 282 3700
- Fax number: 011 884 6453
- Email address: email@example.com
Advocate Tembeka Ngcukaitobi CV is a great inspiration to all aspiring lawyers in South Africa. His hard work and dedication have made him a symbol of black excellence in the country.
Briefly.co.za published the biography of Pule Mabe, a South African politician and businessman. He is a member of the African National Congress and the ANC's national spokesperson since February 2018.
How well do you know Pule Mabe? Read his biography to have a clear understanding of his life, achievements, and political career.