You cannot successfully do business in Botswana without first registering it. Besides the fact that company or business name registration gives a business recognition as a legal entity, it also grants the owner exclusive right to use the name. Whether as an individual or a group, knowledge of carrying out your CIPA online registration becomes inevitable.
The Companies and Intellectual Property Authority (CIPA) online registration has made registration of companies seamless. As a government parastatal grouped under the Ministry of Trade and Industry, CIPA ensures the registration of business names and companies according to the Companies Act and the Registration of Business Names Act.
What is CIPA?
CIPA is the first point of duty for anyone who wants to commence a business in Botswana. The parastatal ensures the registration of business names and companies for individuals, groups, or corporations corresponding with the Companies Act and the Registration of Business Names Act.
Besides registering companies and business names, CIPA represents the country at the World Intellectual Property Organisation (WIPO), the Corporate Registers Forum, and African Regional Intellectual Property Organisation (ARIPO).
How do I register with CIPA?
Registration of companies and businesses is a requirement of the law in Botswana. The new law compels brands to re-register their businesses. What are the requirements for company registration? To begin the process, note these steps:
- Propose three prospective company names.
- Get the declaration of compliance of statutory requirement signed by the company representative for incorporation before a Commissioner of Oaths.
- Submit the company registration form, a consent to act as shareholders, directors, auditors, and company secretary.
- Also submit to the Registrar of Companies their national ID or passports, alongside the declaration of compliance with the company secretary’s practising license.
- Procure a trade license from the City Council or an Industrial Licence from the Industrial Affairs Department.
- Open a corporate bank account for the company.
- Get a TIN (Tax Identification Number) from the country's Revenue Service, and fill a taxpayer registration form.
- Register for VAT (Value Added Tax) with the Department of Customs and Excise.
- Enrol employees for workplace injury insurance with an insurance company of choice.
How do you register a company online in Botswana?
CIPA online registration Botswana is made easy with the following steps.
- Submit your application through the Companies and Intellectual Property Authority (CIPA) online portal called OBRS by visiting the CIPA website.
- On the website, press the login button under the information bar to access the login page.
- Insert your username and password and click on the login button if you have an account already. If you do not have an account, click the ”Create a profile now” button; you will be directed to a page.
- On the first page, you will be expected to input your login details and click on the ”Next” button to go to your Name and Identity page.
- Complete the required details and upload your identity evidence, then click on the ”Next” button to go to your contact details page
- Go to your dashboard and click on the start business link and pick register a business.
- You will be directed to the page where you will be expected to put it in your general details.
How to re register a company online in Botswana?
If you are carrying out a CIPA online re-registration, here are a few steps to follow:
- Visit cipa.co.bw and log on with your previously created profile.
- On the CIPA online registration login site, click on the search menu.
- Search for and click on the company or business name you wish to re-register.
- Click on the "re-register now" button. After this, you can proceed to pay for CIPA online registration fees.
Before you commence the re-registration process, take note that you need to have the following documents ready:
- Proof of citizenship
- Proof of non-citizenship, like a passport
- Active mobile phone number and an email address of each director, shareholder, secretary, or member
- Appointment dates of each director, shareholder, secretaries, or member
CIPA online registration forms
The online registration form aids your business branding process. Interestingly, the cipa.co.bw CIPA online registration forms have been categorised in a way to make download easy for everyone. For your new company registration, there are forms that directors, secretaries, and shareholders have to fill to express their consent.
CIPA online registration fees
When you commence your company registration, you will be required to pay P20 for the name availability search. If any of the three proposed names you submitted is still available and approved, you would be notified.
Afterwards, you will be required to complete Form 2 and Form 3 (solemn declaration) and pay P360. With that, a certificate of incorporation will be issued to you.
CIPA online registration deadline
On the 1st of June, 2020, the Companies and Intellectual Property Authority extended the registration of companies and business names. This was done on the Online Business Registration System (OBRS) until December 2020 due to the COVID-19 infliction in the economy. Nevertheless, for any update on new company registration, it is advisable to send a mail to email@example.com.
How do I register for IPA online?
The IPA online service makes it easy for clients to lodge company registration, business names, Securities Commission, Business Groups and Foreign Enterprise registries, and others. However, there are two options for registration: you can register a personal user account or an organisation user account.
If you are registering a personal account, visit ipa.gov.pg, and click on the ”Do it Online” section. From the menu, select the "Register Account" option and begin the process. Nevertheless, note that you must have a functional email address before you begin the process. If you want to register an organisation user account, check the “I also want to create an organisation” box when creating your personal user account.
Now that every business owner must legalise their company before operating in Botswana, the CIPA online registration initiative has made the process faster and seamless. Interestingly, the website is responsive and easy to navigate through.
DISCLAIMER: This article is intended for general informational purposes only and does not address individual circumstances. It is not a substitute for professional advice or help and should not be relied on to make decisions of any kind. Any action you take upon the information presented in this article is strictly at your own risk and responsibility!
If you want to get educated at your own pace online in South Africa for free, Briefly.co.za shared some of the best free courses that you can take online and how you can access them. Get to know about free accredited online courses and the ones that come with a certificate in the post.