NPA Formally Drops Charges Against General Khumalo, Dineo Mokwele and Co-Accused

NPA Formally Drops Charges Against General Khumalo, Dineo Mokwele and Co-Accused

  • All charges against seven senior crime intelligence officers, including divisional head General Dumisani Khumalo, were withdrawn without conditions
  • The case centred on allegations linked to Brigadier Dineo Mokwele's appointment, drawing national media attention to those involved
  • Brigadier Mokwele broke her silence after the withdrawal, describing how seeing her name in the headlines had taken a personal toll
Khumalo
General Khumalo and o-acused in ourt. Image: @Kayanews/X
Source: Twitter

SOUTH AFRICA — All fraud and corruption charges against seven senior crime intelligence officials have been dropped without any conditions attached, bringing a formal end to a case that had drawn significant public scrutiny to those named.

The seven accused were divisional head General Dumisani Khumalo, Major-General Nosipho Madondo, Brigadier Dineo Mokwele, Major-General Philani Lushaba, Major-General Josias Lekalaka, Major-General Zwelithini Gabela, and Brigadier Phindile Ncube. The charges stemmed from allegations of fraud and corruption connected to Brigadier Mokwele's appointment.

Khumalo responds to the withdrawal

Speaking after the charges were dropped, General Khumalo declined to describe himself as vindicated.

Read also

Phala Phala: MK Party calls for formal visit to Ramaphosa’s farm as part of impeachment inquiry

PAY ATTENTION: You can now search for all your favourite news and topics on Briefly News.

"Using the word vindicated implies there was any wrongdoing so I'll just say the truth is out whether through Madlanga or the court processes," he said.

He also addressed concerns that the officers had been deliberately targeted, warning that the matter carried consequences beyond those directly involved.

"This is very concerning for the country, we tried our best and are still trying for it not to negatively affect service executed from us," Khumalo said.

View video in court here:

Mokwele says relief came with a cost

Brigadier Mokwele also spoke publicly following the withdrawal, making clear that the end of legal proceedings did not erase the personal impact of the ordeal.

"Charges withdrawal does not undo what happened but has been a relief. Watching my name become national news was devastating," she said.

Mokwele added that further matters arising from the case would be addressed through the appropriate legal channels.

Read also

DA removes Mark Burke as Finance Spokesperson amid SARB investigation, South Africans debate move

IDAC Head confirms approving Mokwele's arrest

Briefly News also reported that Andrea Johnson, the head of the Investigating Directorate Against Corruption (IDAC), has made a damaging admission under oath: she approved the arrest of a senior police official without ever looking at her qualifications. Advocate Andrea Johnson, appearing before the Madlanga Commission on Thursday, 24 July 2026, conceded that she had signed off on the prosecution memorandum that led to the arrest of Brigadier Dineo Mokwele in June last year. Mokwele faced charges of fraud and corruption, with the state alleging she had fraudulently obtained her position as head of Crime Intelligence's Technical Support Services unit by misrepresenting her credentials.

Source: Briefly News

Authors:
Mbalenhle Butale avatar

Mbalenhle Butale (Current Affairs writer) Mbalenhle Butale is a current affairs reportet at Briefly News (joined in 2025). She has over five years newsroom experience. Butale worked at Caxton News as a local reporter as well as reporting on science and technology focused news under SAASTA. With a strong background in research, interviewing and storytelling, she produces accurate, balanced and engaging content across print, digital and social platforms. Email: mbalenhle.butale@briefly.co.za