Speculation Grows Over Dricus du Plessis’s Next UFC Fight as Paulo Costa Callout Gains Momentum

Speculation Grows Over Dricus du Plessis’s Next UFC Fight as Paulo Costa Callout Gains Momentum

  • Talk around the UFC middleweight division has shifted to who “Stillknocks” should face next, with his name once again at the centre of debate
  • One of the division’s most recognisable fighters has publicly signalled interest in meeting du Plessis inside the octagon
  • A respected MMA voice has weighed in on the discussion, suggesting that the potential bout could be the ideal test for both men

Don't miss out! Join Briefly News Sports channel on WhatsApp now!

As South African middleweight fighter and former UFC champion Dricus du Plessis continues to regroup after his bruising defeat to Khamzat Chimaev on 16 August in Chicago, speculation has already begun over his next possible opponent.

Du Plessis entered the fight as the defending champion, marking his second title defence this year after defeating Sean Strickland in February to retain the belt.

The 31-year-old was dominated over five rounds and lost by unanimous decision, relinquishing his championship title and ending his unbeaten run.

Read also

Former Springboks captain Jean de Villiers questions team tactics

Dricus Du Plessis, UFC, MMA, Khamzat Chimaev
Dricus Du Plessis was defeated by Khamzat Chimaev after five rounds. Image: Geoff Stillfox
Source: Getty Images

Du Plessis, who recently broke his silence on social media with an official statement, has vowed to come back stronger.

PAY ATTENTION: Briefly News is now on YouTube! Check out our interviews on Briefly TV Life now!

His coach, Morne Visser, ruled out the possibility of an immediate return to the octagon, stressing that the focus will be on training and addressing the weaknesses Chimaev exposed, particularly his wrestling, before making another title run.Visser made it clear that the long-term goal remains to face Chimaev again and reclaim the belt.

Who could be Du Plessis' next opponent?

Some MMA experts believe “Stillknocks” will need one or two comeback fights to prove his mettle and show that his loss to Chimaev has not tarnished his reputation.

One name being strongly linked to a clash with the former champion is Paulo Costa, who is coming off a victory over Roman Kopylov.

MMA analyst Chael Sonnen recently weighed in on the potential bout, saying he loved the matchup between du Plessis and Costa.

Read also

Dricus Du Plessis vows to rise again after defeat to Khamzat Chimaev

Watch the exclusive interview below:

He noted that while it was Costa who issued the callout, he felt the Brazilian had nailed it. Sonnen questioned whether there was a better fight available for du Plessis, arguing that Costa was, in many ways, the perfect opponent for him and that the same could be said the other way around.

Dricus Du Plessis, Paul Costa, Khamzat Chimaev, UFC
The former UFC champion Dricus Du Plessis recently broke his silence with an official statement on social media. Image: Ed Mulholland/Zuffa LLC
Source: Getty Images

What other MMA experts have had to say

Briefly News spoke exclusively with MMA expert Brian Darrell, who advised that Dricus du Plessis needed to return to the drawing board and work on his overall game. Darrell said that during his fight on Saturday, du Plessis had been badly exposed, particularly in grappling and wrestling.

He added that while du Plessis was a strong fighter, which had helped him become champion, his skills had not been enough against Chimaev.

Darrell also suggested that the fighter’s team of coaches and trainers had fallen short, noting that they knew what to expect from Chimaev, including his takedown strategy, but should have better equipped du Plessis with the wrestling skills necessary to match the Russian-born opponent.

Read also

Themba Zwane set to miss months after Mamelodi Sundowns injury

Dricus speaks out after defeat

Briefly News previously reported that South African UFC Middleweight fighter Dricus du Plessis reacted to his bruising defeat at the hands of the UAE’s Khamzat Chimaev at UFC 319 in Chicago.

“Stillknocks,” who came into this fight as the underdog, put on a brave face despite the one-sided fight and vowed to bounce back.

Source: Briefly News

Authors:
Ncube Harrison avatar

Ncube Harrison (Sports Editor) Harrison Ncube is a passionate sports journalist with six years of experience covering African and global sports. Harrison provides sharp analysis, engaging commentary, and compelling storytelling. He holds a Bachelor of Arts in Media Studies from the Zimbabwe Open University and previously worked at Sports Buzz (2018–2022), freelanced for Sports Journal (2023–2024), and contributed to Radio 54 African Panorama Live (2021–2023). For inquiries, reach him at ncube.harrison@briefly.co.za