- KwaZulu-Natal police are investigating a case of murder after the shooting of Nico Swart of Richards Bay Minerals on Monday morning
- Swart was employed by Richards Bay Minerals, which is part of Rio Tinto in KwaZulu-Natal
- It is reported that Swart was shot by three unknown gunmen on Monday morning and the police are hunting for the killers
The latest news coming from KwaZulu-Natal is that a Richards Bay Minerals (RBM) executive has been shot and killed by three men. Nico Swart was shot by the gunmen on foot while on his way to work in Richards Bay on Monday morning.
It is reported by a number of publications that the 47-year-old general manager of operational services died as a result of injuries suffered during the incident.
Speaking to TimesLIVE, KZN police spokesperson Captain Nqobile Gwala confirmed the shooting. He said:
“We can confirm the shooting in Meerensee, Richards Bay. It is alleged that at about 6.45 this morning, the deceased was shot while driving his car to work. He was shot at the corner of Dune and Kolstert roads by three unknown men who were on foot. He died at the scene.”
Part of Rio Tinto, RBM has also released a statement on the ruthless shooting of Swart. The company said:
“The circumstances around the shooting are unknown at this stage and the incident is being investigated by the police. The company is co-operating fully with the police to support its investigation into this very serious matter.
“Nico is survived by his wife and two children. Our sincere condolences and heartfelt sympathies go to his family, friends, and colleagues. The company is offering all the necessary support, counselling and assistance to his family and colleagues during this difficult time.”
The mining company also added that the late Swart joined the mine in 2006 and served in various leadership positions within the company.
On the other hand, Bloomberg said last month that the group’s R6.7 billion mining project in Richards Bay was to remain on hold until the security problems that halted work two years ago have been resolved.
IOL also carried the report that Kwazulu-Natal police are in the hunt for a gang of men who gunned Swart down on Monday morning. Swart had been seated in his vehicle parked at the intersection of Dune and Kolstert in Meerensee when he was shot dead.
Gwala said that at around 6:45am, the deceased was shot while seated in his car on his way to work, saying three unknown men shot at the vehicle and fled on foot.
Meanwhile, in other tragic news about a shooting, Briefly News reported that a Polokwane man killed his wife. Media reports state that the man is 32 years old and that the incident took place on Thursday afternoon, 7 May.
According to Jacaranda FM, South African Police Service’s provincial spokesperson Motlafela Mojapelo said the 32-year-old woman was found inside a car.
Mojapelo told Jacaranda:
"Preliminary police investigations revealed that the deceased, who is believed to be from Seshego township, was together with a certain man inside the said vehicle when her husband arrived."
Enjoyed reading our story? Download BRIEFLY's news app on Google Play now and stay up-to-date with major South African news!