Did you know it is illegal to drive an automobile without a valid motor license in South Africa? Driving and motor permits in this country are issued by the Department of Transport. The department has made vehicle license renewal easier for citizens.
All South African drivers should familiarise themselves with the process of vehicle license renewal. They must renew their motor permit discs every year before they expire.
Vehicle license renewal in 2023
Failure to renew a motor vehicle license attracts penalties and arrears. You can avoid this by renewing yours before expiry.
What documents are needed for vehicle license renewal?
You need the following documents to complete the renewal process.
Automobile registered in your name
If an automobile is registered in your name, you must have the documents listed below.
- Your SA identity document
- Proof of residential address
- A letter with an official date stamp from the ward councillor confirming your residential address (for people residing in informal settlements)
- A motor vehicle license renewal notice. If you do not have the notice, complete an Application for Licensing of Motor Vehicle form. The vehicle license renewal form is available at any registering authority.
Automobile registered under an organisation/ company
If you wish to renew the permit disc for an automobile registered under a company's or organisation's name, you must have the documents listed below.
- The business certificate of the organisation/ company
- A letter of proxy
- Valid identity document of proxy
- A motor vehicle permit disc renewal notice. If you do not have the notice, complete an Application for Licensing of Motor Vehicle form. The form is available at any registering authority. If you wish to get a copy of the vehicle license renewal form in PDF, you can download it from the Department of Transport's site.
In South Africa, you get a 21-day grace period if you have not renewed an expired permit disc. This grace period starts the day your current permit expires. Below is a step-by-step guide on the renewal process.
- If the particular automobile is a heavy load or public vehicle, initiate the process by acquiring a roadworthiness certificate.
- Visit the nearest registering authority or post office authorised to provide this service. Ensure you have all the documents listed earlier.
- Request the officials at the station to assist you with renewal. You will be asked to pay the fee specified on the notification.
- Your application will be processed on the same day.
Can you renew your vehicle license online?
Yes, you can renew your permit disc online through approved platforms, e.g. RenewOnline and Pick n Pay online.
What are the penalties for late vehicle license renewal?
The penalty fee is calculated at a tenth of the annual licensing fee per month that yours remains lapsed.
How much is vehicle license renewal in SA?
The renewal fees vary from province to province, e.g. in-person or online vehicle license renewal in Gauteng is different from Eastern Cape. The amount is based on the automobile's tare weight and type. You may incur additional charges for shipping if you renew online.
Where can I get my vehicle license renewal?
You can get it at traffic department offices, selected post offices, or at Pick n Pay supermarkets and hypermarkets. Online vehicle license renewal is also possible through approved and reliable sites.
How much is a vehicle license renewal in 2023?
The amount varies by province. It is calculated based on the type of car and its tare weight.
Can you renew your car license at Pick n Pay?
Yes, you can. Pick n Pay’s vehicle permit disc renewal service is hassle-free because it allows you to kip the queues at traffic departments and post offices. You just pay online or in-store at a Pick n Pay till point and receive your disc via courier within 10 business days.
The vehicle license renewal process in SA is pretty simple. All automobiles must complete the process yearly. Always do it in time to avoid renewal penalties.
Briefly.co.za recently published how to check if your driving license is ready for collection in South Africa. Through the NaTIS portal, you can apply for a learner or driving license without visiting the traffic department.
You should create a profile on the NaTIS website to get a license. You can use the portal to confirm its readiness for collection.
Source: Briefly News