University of Free State online application for 2021 intake is open to local and international students now. Located at the centre of the Southern Sahara region, The University of Free State is the backbone of research, developing talents and academic professionals in Africa. It partners with prominent local and international universities. If you want to know more about the University of Free State courses, requirements, and deadlines read on.
This public college was established when Grey College began to offer a Bachelor of Arts course in 1904. In 1906, Grey University College (GUC) was born, and it split from Grey College. It was renamed the University of the Orange Free State in 1950. In 2001, its name was changed to the University of the Free State. It has a Bloemfontein campus, South campus, and Qwaqwa campus. For over 100 years, it has produced globally renowned and inspiring alumni like MahubeMolemela and Deon Meyer.
University of the Free State faculties
This higher learning institution offers a variety of undergraduate and postgraduate courses in these divisions:
- Economic and Management Sciences
- Health Sciences
- Natural and Agricultural Sciences
University of Free State courses
Courses that are offered in this school include:
- Accounting and Finance
- Actuarial Science
- Agriculture and environmental science
- Art and design
- Banking and Investment
- Beauty and Wellness
- Business Management
- Computer Science and Information Systems
- Brand Building and Management
- Medicine and Health Science and many more
University of Free State online application process
Have these vital documents in an electronic format because you have to submit them:
- Electronic copies of prerequisite qualification certificates
- Complete and updated academic transcripts
- A legal copy of your passport of South African national ID
Check out the online application demo before you embark on the simple University of Free State application process. Complete the online form. You will be assigned a student number (or a reference number) once the application is processed. However, this does not guarantee that you have been accepted into this university. The relevant faculty will evaluate your application before your admission.
UFS application qualifications and requirements
It is essential to consult the 2021 postgraduate and undergraduate University of Free State prospectus for minimum entrance requirements. Here are the general qualifications and requirements that UFS applicants should meet:
- Applications are processed based on your current results. If you have sat for Grade 12 subjects more than once, please combine and submit the results in the application.
- Select the National Senior Certificate when applying (it is under the Results Detail page) if you wrote the National Senior Certificate (NSC) through IEB or SACAI examining bodies.
- An applicant who is currently in Grade 12 must submit copies of the final Grade 11 results that have been stamped by his or her school for verification and auditing.
- Declare your previous studies when applying and upload a complete academic record/transcript and degree/diploma certificate (if applicable) if you are transferring from another university/tertiary institution.
- Applicants who completed the GED and would like to enroll in the undergraduate curricular qualification have to register and complete a grade 12 NSC/IEB/SACAI or international equivalent thereof. UFS does not accept the General Education Development (GED) test for entry into any of its undergraduate curricular qualifications because it is not equivalent to a South African grade 12 (NSC/IEB/SACAI). Universities South Africa (USAF) does not recognize it anymore.
- Applicants who did not complete SC/NSC/IEB should have USAF accreditation from the examination board for South African universities. Apply online for conditional exemption, foreign conditional exemption, or mature age conditional exemption or email them at firstname.lastname@example.org.
- All postgraduate programs are selection programs.
- In some instances, masters, doctoral, and honours students must apply directly to the specified department or to pre-register. Consult the specific faculty and departmental for clarification.
- Inquire from the relevant faculty/department website additional documentation that may be required before you submit your online application and upload/email documents. For example, the department of form applications, CVs, dissertation/thesis proposal, and so on.
- Applicants transferring from another university/tertiary institution are required to upload a full academic record/transcript, degree/diploma certificate, and SAQA certificate.
- Advanced diploma qualifications are processed (administratively) as postgraduate qualifications because of the previous studies involved, although they are classified under undergraduate qualifications.
International students’ applications
If you are an international applicant, you should provide SAQA (South African Qualifications Authority) verification, along with certified relevant copies of qualification.
University of Free State application status
Make a follow-up online to find out the results of your application quickly.
How to track your application
Track your application online using these simple steps:
- Visit the University of Free State login site for student self-service.
- Tap on Sign In.
- Click Application Status Tracking.
If you do get feedback from the university a few days after the closing date, which rarely happens, please find out your application status on the Oracle People Soft system. To know how to check your application status follow these simple steps:
- Visit this site to check your application status.
- Enter your User ID and Password.
- Click on Sign In.
How do you become a student at the UFS after applying?
After the online application has been accepted, follow these student registration steps:
- Seek for admission into the program you have qualified for.
- Pay the mandatory first payment (5 business days before your date of registration).
- Register for studies in the course that you were admitted to. The modules, timetables, and their venues are updated on the UFS site regularly to help students to avoid time table clashes. Check the website before registration.
UFS fees and related charges
Download the 2020/2021 UFS fee structure to estimate the UFS tuition fees and related charges. Note that the university has the right to change the amount it charges. The UFS student finance website has details about payment methods and everything related to financial issues.
UFS application dates for 2021
Please apply before these UFS application deadlines:
- QwaQwa and Bloemfontein campuses began 2021 applications for undergraduate courses on April 1st, 2020. UAP or University Access Program 2021 applications on the South Campus start on July 1st, 2020.
- Apply before May 31st, 2020, for MBChB, Radiation Sciences, Optometry, Physiotherapy, Occupational Therapy, Dietetics, Biokinetics, and Sports Coaching.
- Those taking Architecture, Quantity Surveying, and Construction Management should apply before July 31st, 2020.
- September 30th, 2020, is the deadline for applications from:
- International undergraduates.
- Students who are transferring from other tertiary institutions and all non-selection programs.
- All UAPs on the South Campus and its sub-regions.
- Students who are applying to study Drama and Theatre Arts, Geology, Forensic Sciences, Physics with Engineering Sciences, Music, Social Work, Community Development (QQ only), and all non-selection programs.
Does the UFS allow late application?
The period can be extended to accommodate the University of Free State late application. During the 2020 application, the duration was extended to February 15th in the Bloemfontein campus but only for specified programs.
University of the Free State contact details
Get assistance from specific departments:
1. Open Learn programs
Tel: +27 51 401 2786
Contact person: Ms MNG Sephaka
2. Faculty of Theology
Tel: +27 51 401 2786
Contact person: Mrs S Dlwati
3. Faculty of Natural and Agricultural Sciences
Tel: +27 51 401 3199
Contact person: Mrs L Frazenburg
4. Postgraduate Diploma in Financial Planning
Tel: +27 51 401 2823
Contact person: Mrs E MacHeu
5. Faculty of Law
Tel: +27 51 401 2735
Contact person: Mr Courtley Pharaoh
Please contact them through:
205 Nelson Mandela Dr, Park West, Bloemfontein, 9301, South Africa
Bloemfontein Campus: +27(0)51 401 9111
South Campus: +27(0)51 401 9111
Qwaqwa Campus: Tel: +27(0)58 718 5000
General information: email@example.com
Help center: firstname.lastname@example.org or +27 51 4019666
The University of Free State courses are a great opportunity for all students. We hope that you will succeed in your application and become a student of this great university!