The University of Limpopo was established in January 2005 as a result of a merger between the former Medical University of Southern Africa and the University of the North. The University of North had been established in Limpopo on 1st August 1959, while, the University of Southern Africa started in 1976. The merger between the two great institutions allowed the University of Limpopo courses to have a wide variety. Some of the famous alumni from the institution include President Cyril Ramaphosa, Pansy Tlakula, and Frank Chikane.
The faculties at Limpopo University include Health Science, Humanities, Science and Agriculture, and Management and Law. UL prospectus offers a breakdown of the requirements when submitting your application. Note that the UL prospectus is regularly updated to feature newer requirements; therefore, you should always download the most recent one.
READ ALSO: Critical skills list in South Africa 2019
University of Limpopo courses
Courses offered at the university under the different schools in the various faculties include:
Faculty of Humanities
- Bachelor of Education Senior Phase & FET (majoring in Languages and Life Orientation) BEd (SPF)
- Bachelor of Education Senior Phase & FET (majoring in Languages and Social Sciences) BEd (SPF)
- Bachelor of Education Senior Phase & FET (majoring in Economics and Management Studies) BEd (SPF)
- Bachelor of Education Senior Phase & FET (majoring in Mathematics, Science & Technology) BEd (SPF)
- Bachelor of Arts (Languages stream)
- Bachelor of Arts (Translation and Linguistics stream)
- Bachelor of Arts (Performing Arts stream)
- Bachelor of Information Studies
- Bachelor of Arts in Contemporary English and Multilingual Studies
- Bachelor of Arts in Communication Studies
- Bachelor of Arts in Media Studies
- Bachelor of Arts in Media Studies Extended Curriculum Programme
- Faculty of Science & Agriculture
- Bachelor of Science (Physical Sciences stream)
- Bachelor of Science (Physical Sciences stream) Extended Curriculum Programme
- Bachelor of Science in Geology
Faculty of Health Sciences
- Bachelor of Medicine & Surgery
- Bachelor of Sciences in Dietetics
- Bachelor of Optometry
- Bachelor of Science in Medical Sciences
- Bachelor of Nursing
- Bachelor of Pharmacy
University of Limpopo admission requirements
University of Limpopo online facilities allows anyone to access information on the requirements that need to be met when applying for a course at the university. First, you must meet the minimum requirements, which are mostly academically based and may vary from a course to another.
1. A National Senior Certificate (NSC) with Bachelor exemption is required. The student must comply with the following:
- An achievement level of at least 3 in English
- An achievement level of at least 3 in Life Orientation
- Meet the minimum level of achievement for the subjects required for the course you are applying for in the Calendars of each faculty.
a. A minimum NSC achievement level of 4 with four 20 credit subjects for degree programmes
b. A minimum NSC achievement level of 3 with four 20 credit subjects for diploma programmes
- Meet the Admission Point Score (APS) required for that year by a Faculty.
2. A Matriculation Certificate is required for students who completed Grade 12 before 2008. To check if you qualify for a course, convert the grades symbols to an APS.
3. A National Certificate (Vocational) level 4 qualification for students who completed vocational training. The student will also be subject to Faculty Admission Specifications and Placement tests. The students will also have to:
- For degree programmes, have a National Certificate level 4, with four relevant vocational subjects at 70% and three fundamental subjects, including Life Orientation at 60%.
- For diploma programmes, have a National Certificate level 4, with three compulsory vocational subjects at 60% and three fundamental subjects including Life Orientation at 50%.
4. Meet the Admission Point score. This score is calculated using NSC or Grade 12 results. The student needs to calculate his/her score before starting the application process. The score will vary depending on the faculty.
Meeting these requirements will not mean you will be admitted to the university. Many applications are submitted every year, and only a few get admitted. Exceeding the minimum requirements will massively improve your chances of getting admitted at the University of Limpopo. Make sure you use the online facilities UL to access information before making your application.
University of Limpopo application process
How do I apply to University of Limpopo? UL online facilities come in handy when making your application. However, before starting your application, make sure you meet all the requirements of the course you are applying for that year.
Go to the portal and then download the University of Limpopo application forms. Fill in the form.
The form should be submitted together with a payment proof for the application fee, which is R250 for South Africans and R380 for international students. Send the form with a bank slip and the other required documents to:
- The Registrar, Enrollment Management
University of Limpopo
Private Bag X1106, SOVENGA, 0727
Wait for four weeks after submitting your application before checking the status.
NOTE: You can also use the online application platform at www.ul.ac.za. You will fill out an online form and submit it.
Applications close on the 31st of October every year. A non-refundable handling fee of R130 is required when applying. How do I pay the UL application fee? Deposit all the money to the University of Limpopo bank account since cash payments are not accepted. The bank account details are:
- Standard Bank
- Polokwane Branch
- Branch number: 05254840
- Account Number: 330040006
- Swift Number: SBZAZAJJ (for International Deposits)
All of your documents and certificates submitted with the application form should be certified copies. An advocate should certify that the documents are indeed copies of the original and real. You have to produce original documents during academic registration.
The University of Limpopo student portal is only available for students who have been accepted by the university. University of Limpopo login credentials are only issued after the acceptance of your admission. Go to www.ul.ac.za login to access your account.
University of Limpopo fee structure
The current tuition fees for 2019 is R22260. Here is the fee breakdown:
- Handling fee of R130 required when a student is submitting forms
- Registration fee of R2,800 for day students and R4200 for boarders. This payment is required before or during registration
- 1st installment (End of April) of R1320 for day students and R2630 for boarders.
- 2nd installment (End of May) of R1320 for day students and R2630 for boarders.
- 3rd installment (End of June) of R1320 for day students and R2630 for boarders.
- 4th installment (End of July) of R1320 for day students and R2630 for boarders.
- 5th installment (End of August) of R1320 for day students and R2630 for boarders.
READ ALSO: List of all Pearson Institute courses
University of Limpopo courses are plenty and diverse. If you are looking for a University that offers a wide range of courses to choose from, the University of Limpopo should be high on the list. Other than the competitive courses, the institution has great facilities for both learning, accommodation, as well as other activities like sports. Follow the above application process and let the University of Limpopo help you achieve your dream career.