Robert Hobbs is a popular Hollywood actor known for films such as District 9 and Invictus. He also doubles up as a voice artist, writer, director, and improviser. A combination of all these roles results in nothing short of a challenging yet epic journey in the entertainment industry.
Robert Hobbs has starred in numerous prime television shows such as CBC, BBC, HBO, and SABC. He is a household name in South Africa after portraying the downtrodden role of Bernard Markgraaf in Rhythm City.
Robert Hobbs profile summary
- Full name: Robert Hobbs
- Date of birth: 1972
- Place of birth: Cape Town, South Africa
- Robert Hobbs age: 48 year
- Nationality: South African
- Marital status: Married
- Profession: Actor, producer, director
- Net worth: $950,000
Robert Hobbs biography
Robert was born in 1972 in Cape Town, South Africa. While still a young boy, Robert’s family relocated to a small mining town in the same country. After completing his elementary and high school education, Hobbs graduated with a Bachelor of Arts Degree in Speech and Drama from the University of Cape Town.
During his teenage years, Hobbs was recognized as a state swimming champion with many records, some of which still stand to date. He also spent his early years in the South African theatre where he attained highlights for productions such as Kindertransport for the world-famous Market Theatre and Macbeth for the State Theatre, among others.
The actor tied the knot with Tania Hobbs on 27th October 2000. Not much is known about the wife and where the wedding took place. The couple is blessed with four lovely children.
At the debut of his career, Robert was one of the founding members of Cape Town's longest-running improvisational troupe, which was known as Theatresports. He also wrote and produced numerous plays such as For Better for Worse and Walking Joe.
His breakthrough in the film industry took place during the BBC production of Bravo Two Zero. His second film In My Country, directed by John Boorman attained nomination for the Golden Bear Award at the Berlin Film Festival.
Hobbs attained another milestone in the entertainment industry after appearing with William Hurt in 73 Seconds: The Challenger Disaster in the BBC 2/ Discovery TV film.
Ever since then, he has continued to become better in the industry, thanks to his hard work and determination. He has been on the quest to work on films that aim at making a difference and honouring great heroes as seen in the production of Mandela: Long Walk to Freedom.
Here are Robert Hobbs movies:
- 1994: Boy in Ship to Shore
- 1994: Thug in Kalahari Harry
- 1997: Older David in Ekhaya: A Family Chronicle
- 1999: Stan in Bravo to Zero
- 2002: David in Isidingo
- 2002: Voice artist in Promised Land
- 2003: Trevor in Hey Boy
- 2004: Scheepers in Scout’s Safari
- 2004: Van Deventer in In My Country
- 2004: Kruger in Der Weisse Afrikaner
- 2005: Inspector in Crossing the Line
- 2005: Lieutenant Cumbersham in To The Ends of the Earth
- 2006: Mark in The Trail
- 2006: Jacob Schuit in Krakatoa: Volcano of Destruction
- 2006: Special Branch Lieutenant in Catch a Fire
- 2007: Bernard Markgraaf in Rhythm City
- 2008: Terry Lomas in Wild at Heart
- 2008: Inspector Blakkie Swart in Gangster’s Paradise: Jerusalema
- 2008: Man with Whip in The Devil’s Whore
- 2009: Ross Pienaar in District 9
- 2009: Presidential Guard in Invictus
- 2011: The Seedling voice in Jock the Hero Dog
- 2011: Darin Morgan in Strike Back
- 2012: Morgan in Safe House
- 2012: JP van der Westhuizen in iNkaba
- 2012: Loot
- 2013: Allan J Macdonald in The Challenger Disaster
- 2013: Chief Warder in Mandela: Long Walk to Freedom
- 2014: Caleb Moore in Young Ones
- 2014: Silvertooth in The Salvation
- 2014: PMC Gray in Homeland
- 2015: The Police Commissioner in Chappie
- 2015: Jenks in Black Sails
- 2016: Pierre De Villiers in Shepherds and Butchers
- 2016: The Slaver Buyer in Roots
- 2016: Sober Companion
- 2016: Kane in The Siege of Jadotville
- 2017: The Navy Admiral in The Pirates of Somalia
- 2017: Carl in Rakka
- 2017: Sergeant Carr in Firebase
- 2017: Donovan in Die Man Met Die Snor
- 2017: Burly Policeman in The Forgiven
- 2019: Ape in Serenity
- 2019: Gary Clayton in The Girl from St. Agnes
- 2019: As Stone in Warrior
- 2019: Uncovered
- 2020: As the Police Sergeant in The Last Days of American Crime
- 2021: Captain Collins in Prisoner 760 (post-production)
- 2004: An associate producer in Boy Called Twist
- 2006: Colonel Simon Fordham in Zero Hour TV series documentary
Awards and nominations
Robert Hobbs actor stands out as one of the most super-talented directors and actors the entertainment industry is proud to have. Apart from his major personal milestones, his hard work has not gone unnoticed as he has received numerous awards and nominations. Robert Hobbs awards and nominations include:
- Best documentary Short- Eric Valli category of the Oscar awards (nominated) - The Trail
- British Film and Television Awards BAFTA for the Best Drama Serial category - To the Ends of the Earth
- Satellite Award for the Best Mini-Series category (won) - To the Ends of the Earth
- Berlin Film Festival awards for the Golden Bear category (nominated) - In My Country
- SAFTA Golden Horn Award under the Best Actor in TV drama category (nominated) - To the Ends of the Earth
- Primetime Emmy Awards under the Best Visual Effects category (nominated) - Krakatoa: The Last Days
- British Film and Television Awards BAFTA for the Best Visual Effects (nominated) - Krakatoa: The Last Days
- Oscar Academy Awards under the Best Picture category (nominated) - District 9
- Oscar Academy Awards for Mr Freeman's performance as Nelson Mandela - Invictus
Robert Hobbs net worth
Robert Hobbs is classically trained with an experience of more than twenty years, thus giving him a prolific career in acting. Similarly, he has accrued a significant amount of money over these years. Currently, his net worth is estimated to stand at $950,000.
Being in front of the camera has helped Robert Hobbs gain recognition. He has worked alongside many renowned Hollywood directors, thus creating a niche for himself in the entertainment industry.