- Alcohol has made a happy return for many South Africans who have started the hashtag #NowThatAlcoholIsBack on Twitter
- SAns have shared some absolutely hilarious memes about booze sales being permitted again
- Briefly.co.za took to the Twitter streets to compile 10 of the funniest memes shared under the hashtag
Drinking and partying is something all South Africans are good at regardless of age. On Monday night, President Cyril Ramaphosa announced that the sale of alcohol will be permitted from retail outlets and for on-site consumption at licensed outlets.
SAns could not be more excited about the news and have taken to social media to share some hilarious memes using #NowThatAlcoholIsBack. Looking through the posts on Twitter, it seems as though many Saffas were going through some sort of alcohol withdrawal.
The pure joy and happiness shared due to alcohol outlets being reopened should be worrying but it's better to not rain on people's parade.
Briefly.co.za compiled 10 of the funniest memes shared under #NowThatAlcoholIsBack:
1. Using schoolbags to buy 'stationery' at taverns:
2. No longer needing a distraction from alcohol:
3. A brand-new way of working out:
4. Valentine's Day is now a thing of the past:
5. Police Minister Bheki Cele is on 'special leave':
6. The return of Dezemba:
7. Start dashing ciders to save the alcohol:
8. Grocery budgets are being lowered:
9. Friendships are closed:
10. Blurred vision creates 'beauty':
Briefly.co.za earlier reported that South Africans can finally give a sigh of relief after the president relaxed Covid-19 lockdown regulations as a result of the declining infection rate.
The president addressed the nation on Monday, 1 February.
President Cyril Ramaphosa started his speech by confirming the arrival of the first one million doses of the AstraZeneca Covid-19 vaccine, calling it a turning point in the fight against the virus. Ramaphosa also announced that alcohol sales will now be permitted:
"The sale of alcohol by licensed premises for on-site consumption – such as restaurants and taverns – will be permitted throughout the week from 10am to 10pm."
Ramaphosa called on South Africans to drink responsibly and not force the government to reinstate the lockdown restrictions. SA would remain on Level 3 and many things would still remain prohibited, such as sports gathering or government meetings.
Enjoyed reading our story? Download BRIEFLY's news app on Google Play now and stay up-to-date with major South African news!