Restaurant Ordered to Pay Man Over R126 Million After Serving Him Cleaning Liquid Instead of Water

Restaurant Ordered to Pay Man Over R126 Million After Serving Him Cleaning Liquid Instead of Water

  • William Cronnon checked into a restaurant in 2014 and was served cleaning liquid instead of water
  • The mishap caused harm as he became very sick and was forced to seek medical attention as a result
  • He later sued the restaurant for damages and won the case in a move that saw him bag a massive R126 million

PAY ATTENTION: Follow Briefly News on Twitter and never miss the hottest topics! Find us at @brieflyza!

When William Cronnon, a Tennessee man, walked into a restaurant, he did not know his meal and the service at the establishment would lead to sickness and a years-long legal battle.

Sue, cleaning liquid instead of water, legal battle, restaurant, R128 million, sick, poisoned
A court ordered a hotel to pay the man about R126 million for serving cleaning liquid instead of water. Photo: Business Weekly
Source: UGC

Costly mistake

Well, Cronnon did his thing but unfortunately, a waitress served him cleaning liquid instead of water when he asked for a glass to quench his thirst.

According to, Cronnon was enjoying himself at a Marion County Cracker Barrel when a waitress served him a mixture of water and Eco-San, a commercial-grade bleach. The minor mishap cost the man his health as he developed gastrointestinal issues like regular cramping, bloating, diarrhoea and reflux plain shortly after the April 2014 incident.

Read also

Peep laments little brother's passing in horrific taxi crash, SA sends condolences

PAY ATTENTION: Never miss breaking news – join Briefly News' Telegram channel!

Following his hospital visits and treatments, Cronnon moved to court to sue the establishment and actually won the case.

According to a lawsuit and press release by Cronnon’s attorney, the man actually won the case and was granted R126 million in damages.

Light at the end of the tunnel

“Plaintiff then ingested what he thought was ice water, only to immediately realise that it was not ice water, but was some chemical that caused a burning sensation in his mouth and oesophagus,” the lawsuit read in part.

Cronnon's legal representative, through news station WTVC of Chattanooga disclosed that his client's injuries were “severe and persistent enough” that he could no longer work.

Briefly News understands that the case went to trial where a jury awarded Cronnon compensatory damages totalling R57 million and punitive damages of R67 million.

Read also

Partially decomposed discovered near N3, police launch investigation

Through a statement following the ruling, the restaurant, Cracker Barrel noted:

"While we have great respect for the legal process, we are obviously disappointed by and strongly disagree with the jury’s award in this case, which involved an unfortunate and isolated incident that occurred at one of our stores eight years ago.”

Hotel not happy

A spokesperson from the establishment insisted that the restaurant was considering its options but was glad the matter was behind them as they can now better focus on caring for guests and employees around the country.

According to NBC affiliate channel, WRCB of Chattanooga, it’s unlikely Cronnon will get to keep the full amount awarded due to a state law that puts a cap on economic damages.

Cronnon's attorney told the news station that the amount would likely be lowered to a little over R80 million.

Source: Briefly News

Online view pixel