When was the last time you tasted a Frikkadel recipe? Must be a while, right? As a typical Afrikaans, it is vital to celebrate and relive your heritage by munching this meatballs recipe. Frikkadel comes in different variants as we shall see in a short while. Read on to discover some of the best Frikkadel recipes.
Frikkadel is a traditional Afrikaans dish that usually comprises of spices, bread, eggs, meatballs, and vinegar. It can be baked or deep-fried.
1. Traditional Frikkadels recipe
- A quarter cup of milk
- ½ teaspoon of nutmeg
- Ground cloves (sizable pinch)
- ½ cup of water
- 800 grams of minced beef ( make sure it has some bit of fat )
- White pepper ( large pinch )
- ¾ teaspoon of ground coriander
- One teaspoon of salt
- Two slices of white bread ( without crusts )
- Three tablespoons of sheep fat ( melted )
- ½ cup of grated but not chopped onion.
- Mix the spices and salt with the milk.
- You can use a fork to beat as you break up the bread to a more delicate state.
- Take the above mixture and add it to the mince, onions, and melted fat. Use the fork to harmonise the mix. (ensure that the mince does not get compact)
- Spread butter at the bottom of your ovenproof baking dish.
- Using your hands, gently shape up large Frikkadels.
- Put them in the baking dish and apply a tiny dot of butter on top of each Frikkadel.
- In the baking bowl, add half a cup of water and roast in the oven for about 37 minutes. The temperature should be about 190 °C.
- Add some little water if it is cooking dry.
- Turn on your grill for at least five minutes to enhance browning. You must, however, keep a watchful eye on them so that they won't get burned.
- You can now remove your Frikkadels and wrap them with tinfoil to keep them warm.
- This procedure can yield ten Frikkadels of 100grams each, and the recipe is best served with the old-fashioned tomato salad.
2. Pilchard Frikkadels wrapped in cabbage leaves
- One beaten egg
- Three baby cabbages
- 125 millilitres of milk
- Two slices of white bread
- Fifteen grams of finely chopped parsley
- A finely chopped half onion
- Ground black pepper and salt
- 2 x 400 grams tins of Lucky Star Pilchards in Tomato sauce
The tomato salsa
- 200 grams of red tomatoes or baby yellow tomatoes
- Eight-centimetre piece cucumber
- One finely chopped small onion
- Freshly ground black pepper and salt
- Ten millilitres of white wine vinegar
The parmesan crisps
100 grams of finely grated parmesan cheese
Method of preparation
- Scoop the pilchards out of the tomato sauce. Move the tomato sauce on one side as you extract the bones from the fish.
- Dip and soak the bread in the milk until it is soft.
- Take out the bread and then squeeze out the extra milk.
- Mash the bread and pilchard together.
- Add the beaten egg, parsley, and onion.
- Spice with pepper and salt and then mix them well.
- Place the mix in the refrigerator for about thirty minutes.
- Preheat your oven to 180°C .
- Pull the cabbage leaves off, place them in boiling water and let them soak until they are soft.
- Remove them from the water and use the kitchen towel to dry them.
- Empty the tomato sauce into an oven dish and then start filling the cabbage leaves with the pilchard mixture. Fill one tablespoon per leaf.
- Wrap the Frikkadels in the other cabbage leaves using at least two leaves for every Frikkadel.
- Place the Frikkadels on your tomato sauce and then cover them with tinfoil.
- Bake them in the oven for about thirty minutes .
The tomato salsa
- Chop the cucumber and tomatoes into tiny cubes.
- Mix them with the chopped onion and then add vinegar.
- Spice with pepper and salt.
The parmesan crisps
- Scoop equal sizes of grated cheese into a baking tray that is lined with baking paper.
- Level the heaps and the place the tray inside the oven. Observe the cheese.
- Remove the tray from the oven and let it cool as soon as the heaps have melted into flat discs.
- Remove the crisps from the tray
Spread the tomato salsa over the Frikkadels and then serve with parmesan crisps.
3. Frikkadels stuffed with camembert
Preparation: 30 min
Cooking: 25 min
- Two small rounds of camembert cut into sixteen cubes
- Four eggs
- Two hundred grams of dried bread crumbs
- Rice bran oil ( shallow frying )
- Tomato chill jam ( to serve )
- One teaspoon of young ginger( finely chopped )
- Half teaspoon of ground cinnamon
- Half teaspoon of ground clove
- One lightly beaten egg
- Crushed pinch of saffron threads
- One tablespoon of red onion ( finely chopped )
- 450 grams of minced meat
- Three finely chopped garlic cloves
- 1.5 tablespoons of lightly crushed and toasted fennel seeds
- Two tablespoons of fennel bulb ( finely grated )
- Two tablespoons of lemon juice
- One slice of sourdough bread ( grated and toasted )
- Freshly ground black pepper and salt to taste
Method of preparation
- Preheat the oven to 180˚C.
- Place all the Frikkadel mixture ingredients in a bowl and combine them using your own hands.
- Divide the mixture into sixteen portions and then shape them into balls.
- Dampen your hands and press one ball between your palms to flatten them and make discs.
- Place a camembert cube at the centre and then form this mixture around the cheese.
- Roll it into a smooth ball ensuring the cheese is well enclosed.
- Beat the eggs in a shallow bowl.
- Dip each Frikkadel in the beaten egg and then roll it in the breadcrumbs to ensure that they are well coated.
- In a deep fryer or heavy-bases saucepan, heat the oil to 180°C.
- Cook your Frikkadels to ensure that they are lightly golden.
- Line your baking tray with a paper towel and then transfer the Frikkadels from the pan.
- Allow the heat to penetrate for five minutes and then fry them again until the Frikkadels turn golden brown.
- Place them on a baking tray having a new paper towel and then move them to the oven.
- Bake for five minutes to ensure that the centre is well cooked and the cheese is melted.
- Serve hot and do not forget to add the tomato chilli jam.
Now that you know how to prepare a Frikkadel recipe, try out these three delicacies and you may no doubt turn into an overnight sensation at home in all matters related to mince recipes south Africa.
- How to cook rice
- Gatsby Sandwich: Cape Town's Most Beloved Food
- 10 easy mince recipes South Africa
Source: Briefly News