Mzansi weighs in on R1 million rental for State Capture Inquiry

Mzansi weighs in on R1 million rental for State Capture Inquiry

- A damning report revealed that the Zondo Commission costs government approximately R1 million per month in rental expenses

- Thus far, a whopping R14.8 million has been paid to Tiso Blackstar and Redefine Properties to accommodate the state capture inquiry

- South Africans took to social media to vent their frustrations and some implied that further corruption was at play

PAY ATTENTION: Click “See First” under the “Following” tab to see Briefly.co.za News on your News Feed!

Briefly.co.za previously reported on the true cost of the Zondo Commission into state capture as total expenditure exceeded R100 million.

Briefly.co.za more recently reported on Minister Patricia de Lille’s announcement that the monthly rental costs amount to approximately R1 million.

As a result of the eye-opening rental fee, government has had to pay a whopping R14.8 million to Tiso Blackstar and Redefine Properties.

READ ALSO: Ubuntu: Teen, 15, spends his time helping and caring for the elderly

Twitter user Man's Not Barry Roux (@AdvBarryRoux) shared the news on Tuesday and South Africans shared their rage in response.

Many tweeps questioned why a state-owned property was not utilised and others labelled it a blatant waste of taxpayers’ money.

Tweeps were also sceptical that the guilty parties would be held accountable for their actions.

Some accused government officials of benefiting from the exorbitant rental fee that was charged.

READ ALSO: Big in Japan: Japanese fans can't get enough of the Springboks

TUMO LITALI (@TUMOPHONIK) commented: “#StateCaptureInquiry is just a gathering of thugs and thieves discussing how they were stealing from the poor and wether tax payers must just find them for this fruitless exercise. @CyrilRamaphosa must just stop this Inquiry and use our taxes on better things like youth unemployment.”
Twitter user @Maloka_Tiisetso said, “WTF, they should've used a community hall for free.”
Castro gp (@Castro88253451) asked, “What will happen to those people implicated in the enquiry? I tell you what, NOTHING, that just a waste of tax payers money.”
Pule Joseph Lenong (@lenong_pule) said, “I did not vote for the @MYANC in the last elections...so I'm not even complaining about such matters! I knew that some bloody morons will give us masepa for the next 5yrs!!!! So, those who voted for the @MYANC, shut up and sit down!”

PAY ATTENTION: Do you want to know what's trending on Briefly.co.za? Join our WhatsApp group today.

Enjoyed reading our story? Download BRIEFLY’s news app on Google Play now and stay up-to-date with major South African news!

Source: Briefly.co.za

Mailfire view pixel