Are you a South African citizen interested in knowing how to do a criminal record check? The good news is that the process has been simplified through the numerous online portal services. You only require a national ID number to complete the process.
Criminal record check is one of the vital requirements in the South African business and employment industry. It applies to all individuals who have access to an ID, and you can now be quickly done through the available recommended online platforms.
What is a criminal record?
A criminal record or a Police Record is an individual's compilation of his/her criminal history. It contains a list of criminal offenses that relate to your previous convictions by the South African Police Service.
Be it drunk and driving or shoplifting, criminal record check South Africa will indicate all convictions where you were either found guilty or pleaded guilty. On the other hand, if you happen to be found not guilty, nothing will be indicated on your records.
According to Thinandavha Lufhugu, the South Africa Police Service Captain,
“Generally, the police will not release your criminal record without your consent, but there are exceptions, including requests from other police forces and courts. You might need a copy of your criminal record to apply for a job, to work as a volunteer, with children, or apply for insurance.”
READ ALSO: Fact Check: How accurate is SAPS data when most crimes go unreported?
Certificate of conduct
A Certificate of Conduct is a legal document proving that an individual is a law-abiding citizen, and of desirable characters, acceptable by the countries law enforcers. The document is a major determining factor for individuals to access employment opportunities, travel permits, residency clearance, to mention a few.
How can I apply for a Certificate of Conduct?
A Certificate of Conduct is commonly referred to as a “Police Clearance Certificate.” Given its legality, below are the steps and requirements for a successful application.
- Visit the nearest police station for fingerprints acquisition.
- Carry with you your original identification card and a photocopy.
- A maiden surname or other surnames are required. Mention must be made in their application, followed by a copy of documentary proof attached to the form.
How much does a criminal check cost?
- You will have to part with R11,400 in the same police station. However, it can also be paid electronically into the south Africa police service account in favor of the national commissioner of the South Africa police service.
The following are the banking payment details: ABSA cheque account number 4054522787; branch code 632005; Swift code ABSA ZAJJ. For electronic payment, there must be a reference for the letters “PCC,” followed by the initial surname of the applicant.
How long does it take to get a police clearance certificate in South Africa?
Once the application reaches the Pretoria Criminal Record Center, you may have to wait for almost six to eight weeks for you to collect the certificate. However, renowned document agency Apostil.co.za can obtain a Police Clearance for South Africa for you in as fast as just one week.
Since the SAPS will be possessing your phone contacts, you will receive a message informing you that your certificate is ready for collection. Proceed to the same station you applied and do not forget to carry your national ID/passport.
Free criminal record check with id number South Africa
If you need to check "my criminal record online in South Africa," visit the SAPS website.
- First, provide your inquiry number allocated to your police clearance certificate application.
- Secondly, if you are a South African citizen, you just need to provide your South African identity number.
- Finally, if you cannot find the record through your ID, provide your surname as well as your date of birth.
How to do a criminal record check online in South Africa
After you have received your certificate of conduct, it means that you are registered in the police system. Besides, you may need to check the records of your employees or business companies that you intend to work for. Below is how to do a background check South Africa through Afiswitch.
What is Afiswitch?
This is an automated fingerprint identification service for criminal background checking. The company has a contract with the South African Police Service to render the service on their behalf. They associated with the government through a gazette agreement, vol. 496, no. 29319, dated 27 October 2006.
Can I check my criminal record online in South Africa?
Afiswitch can be used by corporate, Individuals, and private enterprises. The system offers two searches, corporate search, and pre-employment search. Here is how the Afiswitch process work.
- A service provider firm is registered on Afiswitch. The firm is provided with a workstation, and a setup, which is used to register applicants for which a background check is to be performed.
- The service provider is needed to sign on to an Afiswitch workstation by entering a user ID and matching finger.
- The use of an Afiswitch workstation and live-scan fingerprint reader, ten fingerprints, and demographic data of an applicant is required.
- By a secure internet connection, the workstation uploads the data to Afiswitch.
- For identification reasons, Afiswitch transmits the electronic fingerprints directly to the SAPS AFIS sub-system.
- The SAPS AFIS returns a Hit or No-hit result to Afiswitch after completing the fingerprint search.
- Afiswitch then returns a possible illicit activity identified or no illegal event found report to the service provider.
How long does a criminal record check take in South Africa?
The service provider gives the applicant the report immediately if there is No illicit activity identified. In case of possible illicit activity found, the SAPS will process the search and give the required details regarding the illegal activity identified in three to four weeks.
Corrections and mistakes
In the case where an applicant does not agree with the results, the applicant has the right to complain. SAPS will do the required confirmation and correct any errors that might arise.
Criminal record check online in South Africa is a service that is provided by the SAPS in conjunction with Afiswitch. It is helpful in checking the criminal and identity status of many people.
It is advisable to use the record check-up before signing in a business partnership or any other agreement. Employers can also use it to get more information about their employees and the industries they work for. Free South African criminal record check online saves time, and its quickly done and convenient.
READ ALSO: How to obtain a Police Clearance for South Africa faster
Source: Briefly News