The world continues to thrive, and technology has never been this great. A few years back, less than a decade, the standard ways of getting a cab in South Africa was mostly through taxi companies. Other means were having a contact of someone you knew or going to where taxis were stationed. With Uberisation now, the hailing of cabs is at the palm of your hands. Uber has created a platform for the creation of jobs. However, it is crucial to know how to become an Uber driver in South Africa for you to qualify for the job.
Uber Technologies Inc., which is popularly known as Uber, was founded in March 2009. It is an American multinational company that is based in San Francisco. It operates in over 750 metropolitan areas globally. Uber provides several services, and amongst the most popular service provided by the company is ride service hailing.
Uber South Africa
Uber technologies in South Africa was launched in 2013. The platform offers job opportunities to drivers with or without cars. Below is the process on 'How to become an Uber partner South Africa'.
Uber registration South Africa
Several documents will be required when you are going through the Uber registration process. Here are the Uber requirements:
- A valid South African Professional driving permit (PrDP);
- A complication of a safety screening;
- Passed driving evaluation;
- You have to be a minimum of 21 years of age;
- A driver profile photo.
Uber car requirements South Africa
- Excellent condition with no cosmetic damage;
- The model year 2013 or newer;
- No hatchbacks accepted;
- 4-door sedan or minivan.
Documents needed for the car include:
- Commercial vehicle insurance;
- Operators Card (Double disk);
- Vehicle inspection in Cape Town, Durban, Port Elizabeth or Johannesburg;
- Operating License from the department of transport;
- Vehicle certificate of registration;
- If you are in Cape Town, please provide your Vehicle Owner ID and Proof of Parking.
Uber driver registration
- Go to the website www.uber.com/za/en/;
- Click on the tab ‘Sign Up’;
- It will ask you if it is ‘Sign up to drive’ or ‘Sign up to ride’. Click on ‘Sign up to drive’;
- You will be directed to fill in your details, and in the next pages, you will be required to upload your and the car documents.
Your vehicle will go through a series of inspections before it is approved. Before you are given the go-ahead, you will go through a driver’s evaluation with an approved agency before you start using the application. You will also need to attend an Uber Information Session at Uber’s Greenlight Hub support centres, and after you are through with the course, your Uber app will be activated. You are now done with the Uber South Africa register process and are good to go.
How much do Uber owners in South Africa make?
Uber drivers' salary South Africa is generally dependent on how often, where, and when you drive. Each area has its minimum amount of money paid. Some places have a higher demand for the service than others, therefore, resulting in more trips. The monthly income of an average Uber driver is R6820, which is lower than the national average.
There are some promotions that you can check out on the Uber website, which can help you increase your pay.
Uber insurance South Africa
Uber has several insurance partners; these include MiWay, VUM, and OUTsurance. These companies offer several commercial insurance deals that are suitable for your vehicle. An insured car gives peace of mind that leads you to only focus on the necessary work ahead of you.
The company has also partnered with Chubb Insurance in South Africa. This partner injury protection insurance cover protects against losing earning opportunities and emergency medical treatment costs.
The Uber Technologies company is good and has given job opportunities to many people. This will, in turn, slowly raise the living standard of the people. Now that you know how to become an Uber driver in South Africa, you can check it out to earn extra income.