The perfect no-bake cheesecake recipe South Africa is simple to follow, as proven by this article. No oven? No problem! Along the way, learn everything about putting your own spin on it, depending on your preferences. The article also compares the baked and unbaked variations.
Any cheesecake recipe South Africa is the path to a great dessert option. The ingredients are found in almost any store, and they are interchangeable depending on your mood or preferences. This results in some easy cheesecake recipes, such as the one in this article.
Is baked or unbaked cheesecake better?
The answer is a matter of preference. The baked version uses eggs to set, while the no bake cheesecake recipe uses refrigeration or gelatine. The latter also tends to come out sweeter. Baked is more likely to end up with a cracked or sunken end result, whereas there is little margin of error for the same in an unbaked one.
What are the best biscuits to use for cheesecake base?
The base is made by finely grinding whatever dry biscuits you prefer. This includes graham crackers, digestives, or home-made biscuits.
How long does fridge cheesecake take to set?
You should leave it in the fridge for a minimum of 4 hours. For the best results, refrigerate it overnight.
Fridge cheesecake recipe
This recipe is flexible since it is minimal and allows one to experiment with their favourite ingredients, especially in the base and filling e.g., no bake cheesecake with condensed milk. This section will focus on a basic cheesecake no bake recipe with a cherry topping.
READ ALSO: How to make the tastiest butternut fritters in South Africa
To make a basic no bake cheesecake, you will need the following:
For the base/crust
- 250 grams of biscuits
- 1/2 cup cooled melted butter (obtained from 1 stick or 110 grams of butter)
For the filling
- 1 yellow lemon
- 2 cups or 500 millilitres of cream (30% or double cream, straight out of refrigeration recommended)
- 2/3 cups or 85 grams of icing sugar
- 225 grams of cream cheese (at room temperature)
- 3 teaspoons or 5 grams of gelatine powder (optional)
- 3/4 teaspoon of pure vanilla extract
For the topping (optional)
- 3 cups halved and pitted cherries
- 1/2 cinnamon stick
- 1 tablespoon corn starch
- 1 tablespoon water
- 1/3 cups sugar
- 2 teaspoons of balsamic vinegar
How do you make cheesecake from scratch?
The steps are as follows:
This section is divided as was done with the ingredients.
Preparing the base/crust
1. Crush the biscuits in a food processor until they are finely ground to get crumbs. If you do not have a food processor, place the biscuits in a Ziploc bag and crush with a rolling pin or another similar heavy item until finely ground. Pour the crumbs into a bowl.
2. Add the cooled melted butter to the bowl and mix well.
3. Pour the mixture into a spring-form pan or baking tin and pat down to even out the surface with the back of a spoon.
4. Place into a refrigerator to set while you work on the filling.
READ ALSO: Quick and easy paptert recipe with cream
Preparing the filling
1. Place the cream in a bowl and mix with a manual whisk or hand mixer until it is sufficiently thickened and begins to take on shape then set aside. The process should take approximately 5 minutes. It is recommended that you work with cream that is straight out of the fridge since it is easier to whisk it.
2. In a different bowl, pour in the cream cheese and icing sugar then whisk them until completely mixed, smooth, and free of lumps.
3. Grate the yellow lemon’s skin to obtain the zest for flavour. Be careful to only get the yellow part of the skin, as grating too deep reaches the white part that results in a bitter flavour.
4. Add the lemon zest to the cream cheese and icing sugar mixture and whisk until mixed all the way through. Squeeze in some lemon juice at this point if you prefer to.
5. Add in the vanilla extract.
6. If you decide to use gelatine in the dish, take the gelatine powder and mix it in hot boiled water. Use 2 tablespoons of boiled water for the 3 teaspoons of gelatine powder. Mix the two until it is syrupy and add it to the cream cheese mixture. The gelatine helps the cake retain its shape while cutting but it is optional because the same result can be obtained by simply refrigerating it for longer. The remainder of the procedure is the same regardless of whether this step was used.
7. Pour in the cream you set aside earlier into this new mixture and mix all the way through.
8. This is now the filling that is to be poured on top of the base of biscuits. Smooth out the surface using a spatula or the back of a spoon.
9. Place it into a refrigerator for a few hours or overnight so it can set before serving.
Preparing the topping (optional)
1. In a small saucepan, add the balsamic vinegar, cinnamon stick, sugar, and half of the cherries. Bring them to a simmer.
2. Allow them to cook while covered for approximately 5 minutes.
3. Uncover and simmer until the cherries become soft. This should take approximately 3 minutes.
4. Take the water and corn starch and whisk them together.
5. Add the corn starch mixture to the cherry mixture, mix all the way through, and then allow to simmer for approximately 1 minute.
6. Remove the saucepan from the heat and add in the remaining half of the cherries. Mix all the way through.
7. Refrigerate until it is ready to use or add a gelatine mix similar to the one used for the filling.
8. When it is ready, pour it on top of the crust/filling combination still in the spring-form pan or baking tin.
For the topping, a simpler method involves using canned cherries or berries:
1. Blend a can of berries.
2. Run through a sieve to get rid of pips.
3. Add a bit of gelatine.
READ ALSO: 5 best ever savoury mince recipes South Africa
How do you make Oreo cheesecake from scratch?
One of the most popular variations of this recipe is the Oreo cheesecake (also known as the cookies and cream cheesecake). It is made through a similar procedure with the following changes:
- Separate the cookies from their cream filling.
- Crush the cookies for use in preparing the base. Set aside some of the fine crumbs for the topping.
- Use the cookie cream filling as an ingredient when making the filling.
- The topping is made by simply sprinkling a layer of the finely crushed cookies you set aside earlier or unground Oreos.
What is served with cheesecake?
- Toasted nuts (hazelnuts, almonds, pecans, etc)
- A rich caramel sauce
- Dark chocolate
- Fresh berries
- Fresh cherries
- A scoop of ice cream
Complement with side offerings of lightly candied nuts. As for drinks, different teas and wines complement different types of cheesecake. The cake will be good for about three days with refrigeration meaning it can be eaten as a dessert, snack, or breakfast.
That completes our comprehensive cheesecake recipe South Africa. Feel free to leave your own favourite cheesecake recipes in the comments section below.
- How to make Dombolo: the best recipe with pictures
- Best peppermint crisp tart recipe South Africa
- 10 best vegan soya mince recipes South Africa