Trifle is a favourite dessert in South Africa and even globally. Family gatherings or holiday celebrations cannot be complete without it. The best part is that you can make it at home. There are a number of trifle recipes that will help you make trifle dessert that tastes as great as the one made by Gordon Ramsey, or close.
Your trifle dessert will taste the way you want it to. Different tastes can be achieved by using different toppings, including almonds or grated chocolate. The sponge base can also have something different like a Swiss roll, your favourite cake, or biscuits. Below is a trusted South African trifle recipe you should try.
How do you make trifle from scratch?
There are many ways you can prepare this delectable dessert at home. The traditional trifle recipe has several layers, including the sherry soaked sponge base, fruit jelly, custard, and fresh whipped cream. Individual trifle recipes can be enhanced with other ingredients like chocolate or almond toppings and a fruit layer.
Trifle recipe with custard and jelly
Here is an easy way to make the dessert that is enriched with tasty summer fruits.
Trifle recipe ingredients
- Jelly (135 grams, strawberry, raspberry, or preferred flavour)
- Jam filled Swiss roll (170 grams)
- Sherry cream (5 tablespoons)
- Blueberries (75 grams)
- Raspberries (100 grams)
- Strawberries (150 grams, hulled and halved)
You will need the following to make the custard:
- Milk (300ml)
- Double cream (300ml)
- Vanilla pod (1, split and deseeded)
- Corn flour (2 tablespoons)
- Coldwater (2 tablespoons)
- Egg yolk (2, large)
- Caster sugar (75 grams)
You will need the following ingredients for the topping:
- Flaked almonds (10 grams)
- Double cream (300 ml)
Trifle recipe easy to follow instructions
1. Make the jelly by following the instructions on the packet.
2. Cut the Swiss roll into 12 equal slices. Place them over the base, a short way up the sides of the bowl and then at the middle of the trifle bowl.
3. Using a spoon, place the sherries over the arranged pieces of Swiss roll slices. Let the sherry soak into the pieces for a few minutes.
4. Spread the fruit berries over the soaked Swill roll sponge.
5. On top of the fruit layer, drain the prepared jelly. With a clean cling film, cover the trifle bowl and then place it in the fridge for about two hours to set.
6. To make the custard, add the double cream and milk into a saucepan and then add the vanilla pod. Let it slowly come to a boil and then remove from the heat. Set aside for 15 minutes and then get rid of the vanilla pod.
7. Mix the cornflour in water to get an even combination and then set aside.
8. In a large bowl, beat the egg yolks with the sugar to get a pale and fluffy mixture.
9. Combine the egg yolk mixture and the cream mixture you had set aside. Stir gradually to get a smooth mixture.
10. Place the egg and cream mixture in a saucepan and then heat on low heat for about 8 minutes. Stir continuously to get thick custard (it should coat at the back of a wooden spoon).
11. Take the cornflour mixture you set aside and pour in the custard. Continue cooking for about 2 minutes while stirring continuously until the custard is smooth and very thick.
12. Drain the hot custard in a bowl and then let it cool by placing it on top of another dish that is filled with iced water. Using a cling film, directly cover the surface of the custard to avoid a skin from forming and then set it aside to cool.
13. Remove the cling film from the custard after it has cooled and then stir. Slowly drain the custard into the set jelly.
14. With a cling film, cover the mixture and then refrigerate for 30 minutes or until the custard is set.
15. To make the topping, put the almonds in a dry pan and then toast over low heat until they turn golden brown. Ensure you continuously move the almonds around the pan to avoid burning, and then let them cool.
16. Place the cream in a bowl and then whip until soft peaks form.
17. Using a spoon, place the whipped cream on top of the custard layer (you can pipe instead of using a spoon). Start from the side of the bowl and then proceed to the middle. Scatter the cooled almonds over the whipped cream.
18. Serve immediately. If the trifle will be served later, place in the fridge until ready.
READ ALSO: Easy homemade pecan nut pie recipe
What are other ideal trifle recipes South Africa?
There are numerous ways to prepare this dish. This depends on your taste and how you want the layers to be. The following are other tried and recommended recipes.
Trifle recipe with custard and Tennis biscuit
Who does not like Tennis biscuits in South Africa? It will bring a crunchy feeling to your dessert. For this trifle recipe with biscuits, you will follow the above preparation method, but instead of the Swiss roll pieces, you will use Tennis biscuit pieces as the base sponge layer.
Trifle recipe without jelly
Traditionally, the trifle recipe with jelly is used. The dish will also turn out fine without the jelly. You will only have the sherry-soaked sponge, custard, and whipped fresh cream layers.
READ ALSO: Easy Soji recipe: how to make light fluffy soji
Frequently asked questions
Who does not like the taste of a perfectly prepared trifle dish? The following are the frequently asked questions concerning the trifle dessert.
What are the layers in a trifle?
The layers include sherry-soaked sponge (biscuit, cake, or Swiss roll sponge), fruit jelly, thick custard, and whipped fresh cream. Other layers, including fruits and toppings, are a matter of personal preference.
Can you make trifle the day before?
You can. It can stay refrigerated for up to three days.
How do you make a trifle custard set?
Ensure the custard is thick and then cover its surface directly with a cling film to prevent a skin from forming. Remember to put it on your trifle when it is cold.
Which are the ideal trifle recipe fruits?
Any fruit of your choice will work, including bananas, peaches, apples, berries, and more. You can also use a mixture of several fruits in the trifle.
How do you serve trifle dessert?
Serving this dessert requires gentleness so that you preserve the layers. You should use a large and long spoon that can lift all the layers in a single scoop from the dish. After scooping, gently slide in serving containers with the bottom layer going in first.
READ ALSO: Best pumpkin fritters recipe in South Africa
The above trifle recipe South Africa will help bring a twist to your home dessert preparation. Why not make any day a dessert day?
READ ALSO: Easy and best brownie recipe South Africa
Briefly.co.za wrote an article in July on how to make the best brownies using different recipes. Brownies make ideal snacks and even dessert. Family celebrations or your child’s birthday party will surely turn to a joyous occasion when you have this tasty chocolate cake.
Recipes that are explained in detail include the chocolate brownies, fudge brownies, and gooey brownies. Baking has never been made this easy and fun!
- Old-fashioned South African soetkoekies resep
- Easy, mouthwatering no-bake cheesecake recipe South Africa
- The best fish pilchard recipes South Africa
Source: Briefly News