Zweli Mkhize Won't Step Aside While SIU Probes R82 Million Tender

Zweli Mkhize Won't Step Aside While SIU Probes R82 Million Tender

- Health Minister Dr Zweli Mkhize believes he does not need to step down or aside due to the investigations into Digital Vibes

- Digital Vibes is reportedly linked to the Minister's associates and is being investigated by the SIU

- Dr Mkhize supported the investigating adding that he will be co-operating with the SIU investigators

PAY ATTENTION: Join Briefly News' Telegram channel! Never miss important updates!

Minister of Health Dr Zweli Mkhize said he does not believe he needs to step aside while the Special Investigating Unit (SIU) probes the R82 million tender allegedly issued to his associates. Mkhize added that he will be co-operating with the SIU.

Mkhize said he does not see the need to step down while the SIU investigates Digital Vibes, a company associated with the minister. The Minister said that once the investigation is completed the information would be made public.

Read also

Jacob Zuma breaks his silence over student protests, slams ANC government

The Minister was responding to oral questions in the National Assembly on Wednesday, 10 March.

Mkhize says there's no need for him to step aside while SIU probe tender
Health Minister Dr Zweli Mkhize does not believe he needs to step aside while the SIU probes an R82 million tender given to his associates. Image: GUILLEM SARTORIO/AFP and PHILL MAGAKOE/AFP
Source: Getty Images

SowetanLIVE reported that Mkhize believes that process of the probe is secure enough in the investigators' hands and that further steps are not necessary. According to EWN, the Minister was responding to questions from the DA's Siviwe Gwarube regarding the tender.

Previously, Briefly.co.za reported that Mkhize supported the probe that was launched into the R82 million contract. Mkhize stated that in January he met with the Director-General where he gave Mkhize an update on the ongoing investigations at the Department.

With regards to the company Digital Vibes, Mkhize was advised that the Auditor General had raised specific findings that were found to be irregular. Allegedly, two of Dr Mkhize's associates had benefitted from the tender.

Mkhize went on to say that he was informed that the matter would be investigated and he fully supported this view and welcomed the Director-General to go ahead. Mkhize added that he asked the Director-General to procure the services of an external independent service provider to investigate the contract.

Read also

David Mabuza says that corruption should 'not be given a colour'

The ANC had backed Mkhize after the news about the tender irregularities broke. It was reported by the Daily Maverick that a small communications company, Digital Vibes, was awarded the R82 million contract. Now the African National Congress (ANC) has stated that the minister is innocent until proven guilty.

Enjoyed reading our story? Download BRIEFLY's news app on Google Play now and stay up-to-date with major South African news!

Source: Briefly.co.za

Online view pixel