- Minister of Public Works and Infrastructure Patricia de Lille spoke in Parliament recently and many aren't happy about what she had to say
- De Lille revealed that the Beitbridge Border Post fence will not be fixed after vandalism due to irregular expenditure
- De Lille said a technical assessment team was sent to assess the state of the fence and this is her decision on the matter
Minister of Public Works and Infrastructure Patricia de Lille told Parliament on Tuesday, 16 March that the Beitbridge Border Post fence will not be fixed. De Lille said that the department made a decision to not do any repairs to the fence as it would lead to irregular expenditure.
The minister said a technical assessment team was sent by the director-general to assess the state of the fence, adding that the fence was not compliant with specifications. De Lille said the team assessed the fence in December.
The Beitbridge fence is known for its ineffectiveness in terms of securing the land border.
A report by IOL stated that De Lille revealed that work on the Beitbridge fence would be located on the border management solutions. EWN reported that De Lille added that the government was looking for a long-term solution to fix the borders in SA.
Previously, Briefly.co.za reported that a pedestrian was arrested at the Beitbridge border post. The South African Police Service (SAPS) reported that a man was arrested in Musina for contravention of the Customs and Exercise Act.
The 57-year-old suspect was arrested for allegedly being found with R165 060 in undeclared cash. The SAPS stated that the arrest emanated after police spotted the suspect with a blue cooler bag while doing routine patrols along the N1 North between the Beitbridge Border Post and Musina.
The police carried out a search of the cooler bag containing the cash and arrested the suspect after he failed to explain the origin of the money.
Briefly.co.za also reported on the viral Twitter posts where SAns demanded that Zimbabweans be sent back home.
South Africans have responded to clips of scores of Zimbabwean nationals entering the country via the Beitbridge Border. In the clips, the Zimbabweans can be seen entering the border that crosses into Limpopo in large numbers.
Many locals have expressed disdain at the foreigners who are attempting to make their way into the country. The hashtag, #CloseBeitridgeBorder has been trending as South Africans demand the border be closed.
Many locals have also blamed governmental officials who have allowed the Zimbabwean nationals into the country also citing that there are not enough jobs for South Africans let alone desperate foreigners.
Enjoyed reading our story? Download BRIEFLY's news app on Google Play now and stay up-to-date with major South African news!