Lesufi Denies Claims of Tender Irregularities, Says Forces Are Out to Get Him

Lesufi Denies Claims of Tender Irregularities, Says Forces Are Out to Get Him

- Gauteng Education MEC Panyaza Lesufi has reportedly denied all claims of corruption against him

- Lesufi allegedly spoke about helping people with tenders in a recording that has been heard by a well-known media house

- Reports stated that on Sunday Lesufi denied this and stated that the recording had been tampered with

PAY ATTENTION: Join Briefly News' Telegram channel! Never miss important updates!

Gauteng Education MEC Panyaza Lesufi has denied allegations of tender corruption which were levelled against him. A recording was reportedly released of a so-called "secret meeting" in which he allegedly spoke about "bending rules" on tenders.

A well-known publication reported that it had a recording in which Lesufi allegedly told a group of people that he wanted to ensure people were ''satisfied at all costs". Lesufi claimed that the recording had been tampered with.

The MEC added that the tampering was done to "destroy his character". Lesufi stated that in the recording he was explaining how contracts were adjudicated and advertised.

Read also

Mbuyiseni Ndlozi says Ramaphosa will cause 3rd Covid wave, SA reacts

Panyaza Lesufi denies tender irregularities, says forces out to get him
Panyaza Lesufi has denied allegations of a recording where he allegedly claims he can help people with tenders. Image: GCIS
Source: UGC

CityPress is reportedly in possession of the recording which, according to TimesLIVE, had Lesufi talking to the group of people about awarding tenders. Lesufi allegedly told the group to speak to him and apply through the correct channels for "record purposes".

However, Lesufi allegedly added that he would not help any "traitors". eNCA reported Lesufi stated that the meeting was not a secret. The publication confirmed that Lesufi believes the recording aims to tarnish and destroy his reputation.

Previously, Briefly.co.za reported a staggering amount of over R430 million was spent on decontaminating, disinfecting and deep cleaning Gauteng schools.

This steep figure was contained in a report into the spending which was compiled by the Gauteng Education Department head. Gauteng Education MEC Panyaza Lesufi has expressed his shock over the revelation, confirming that consultations with law enforcement agencies are underway.

Panyaza signalled his commitment to ensuring that those responsible are held accountable:

Read also

Busy body: Mohale Motaung celebrates becoming director in 5th company

“I wish to reaffirm my commitment to leave no stone unturned on this, including holding those who procured these services accountable.”

Jacques Maree, writer for the Democratic Alliance, weighed in with his view on this response, commenting that:

"Ramaphosa is perpetually shocked by the looting and incompetence of his party, thereby distancing himself from it all. It now seems this clever tactic is catching on among his cadres. Pretty soon they're all going to be astonished, astounded and appalled by everything they've done."

Enjoyed reading our story? Download BRIEFLY's news app on Google Play now and stay up-to-date with major South African news!

Source: Briefly.co.za

Online view pixel