AFU Rejects Vincent Smith's R1.5 million Offer, Pursues R30 Million Asset Confiscation

AFU Rejects Vincent Smith's R1.5 million Offer, Pursues R30 Million Asset Confiscation

  • The Asset Forfeiture Unit turned down a R1.5 million repayment proposal from convicted former ANC MP Vincent Smith
  • AFU head Chuma Mtengwane told Parliament the unit has already restrained Smith's assets ahead of a full confiscation inquiry
  • EFF MP Veronica Mente questioned why the NPA appeared to be prioritising Smith while other state capture cases moved slowly
The Asset Forfeiture Unit wants to get R30 million from convicted MP Vincent Smith
The AFU is coming after Vincent Smith's pocket. Image: @MDNNewss
Source: Twitter

GAUTENG — The Asset Forfeiture Unit has declined a R1.5 million settlement offer from convicted former ANC MP Vincent Smith, opting instead to pursue a R30 million confiscation of his assets through the Gauteng High Court.

According to Eyewitness News, the development came to light on 18 August 2026 when the National Prosecuting Authority, the Special Investigating Unit, and the Hawks appeared before Parliament's Standing Committee on Public Accounts to provide a progress update on state capture prosecutions.

AFU launches full confiscation inquiry

AFU head Chuma Mtengwane told the committee that Smith's offer was rejected because his financial benefit from the offences was substantially greater than the amount he proposed to repay. Mtengwane confirmed that the unit had already moved to restrain Smith's assets and would now proceed with a formal confiscation inquiry to recover the larger sum.

Read also

Suspended Major-General Feroz Khan summoned to Madlanga Commission on 1 September

PAY ATTENTION: You can now search for all your favourite news and topics on Briefly News.

Smith, who previously served as chairperson of Parliament's Correctional Services Committee, was convicted in March for accepting gratification from Bosasa in return for the award of lucrative prison contracts. He is currently serving a seven-year prison sentence.

EFF questions NPA's Priorities

EFF MP Veronica Mente raised concerns during the committee hearing about the apparent disparity in how state capture cases were being handled. She questioned why the NPA appeared to be focusing so intently on Smith while progress in other state capture matters seemed to be stalling. The confiscation proceedings are scheduled to be heard at the Gauteng High Court on Wednesday.

View a tweet on X about the announcement here:

Inside Siyabonga Nkosi's seized luxurious homes

In a related article, Briefly News reported on the Special Investigating Unit's (SIU) recent actions regarding the seizure of multiple luxury properties and vehicles linked to Eskom corruption. This extensive investigation aims to recover assets involved in the misappropriation of state funds.

Source: Briefly News

Authors:
Tebogo Mokwena avatar

Tebogo Mokwena (Current Affairs editor) Tebogo Mokwena is a senior current affairs writer at Briefly News. With a Diploma in Journalism from ALISON, he has a strong background in digital journalism, having completed training with the Google News Initiative. He began his career as a journalist at Daily Sun, where he worked for four years before becoming a sub-editor and journalist at Capricorn Post. He then joined Vutivi Business News in 2020 before moving to Briefly News in 2023. Email: tebogo.mokwena@briefly.co.za