Investigating Officer in Senzo Meyiwa’s Murder Trial Says Witnesses at the House Delayed in Notifying Police

Investigating Officer in Senzo Meyiwa’s Murder Trial Says Witnesses at the House Delayed in Notifying Police

  • Sergeant Thabo Mosia said the people at the house when Senzo Meyiwa was murdered delayed in reporting the crime
  • The murder allegedly occurred at about 8pm, however, Mosia arrived at the scene after midnight
  • During the cross examination Mosia added that he did not think the crime scene was tampered with

PAY ATTENTION: Follow Briefly News on Twitter and never miss the hottest topics! Find us at @brieflyza!

PRETORIA - State witness in the Senzo Meyiwa murder trial claims that the people who were at the house when the shooting took place did not report the incident immediately. Sergeant Thabo Mosia revealed during his cross-examination by Advocate Malesela Teffo at the North Gauteng High Court in Pretoria that Meyiwa was taken to hospital before police could be informed.

Mosia was questioned about his tardiness when arriving at the crime scene. It is believed that the murder occurred about 8pm and Mosia arrived at the Vosloorus home after midnight.

Read also

"Wasn't tampered": Witness in Senzo Meyiwa trial says crime scene was protected

Senzo Meyiwa trail, state witness, police, notification, delayed, people, call-in time, Malesela Teffo
The state witness in the Senzo Meyiwa murder trial was cross examined. Image: OJ Koloti & Lefty Shivambu/Getty
Source: Getty Images

Teffo also questioned if within the four-hour window period if the crime scene was tampered with and Mosia said he did not suspect any tampering. SABC News reported that Mosia was certain there was a scuffle when he saw a hat and walking stick laying on the floor. He added that he did not question the people at the house but took the word of another officer at the scene, Brigadier Ndlovu.

Teffo and Mosia irked each other during the cross-examination. Teffo also came under fire a few times for his line of questioning, particularly when he grilled Mosia about his prior experience.

PAY ATTENTION: Never miss breaking news – join Briefly News' Telegram channel!

The advocate reminded Mosia that lying to the court had earned him a perjury charge. Judge Tshifhiwa Maumela disallowed Teffo from asking questions about Mosia’s experience, according to The Citizen.

Read also

Doctors say there is no sign of physical assault on Senzo Meyiwa murder accused despite torture claims

South Africans react to the trial

@Fishwings123 said:

“Adv Teffo is trying to discredit any evidence pointing his client to the crime scene so the DNA results to the hat and jacket are very important for his client’s case and this needs to be mentioned. I seriously don’t understand le judge.”

@lebotshangela commented:

“This advocate should have just apologised.”

@DjMondli_GMT posted:

“We want to know who killed Senzo, not who delayed reporting the matter.”

@sphamindlos stated:

“Adv Teffo is on something. The incident took place after 8pm and the forensic expert arrived at the scene of the crime at 12:20 am? Prior to that detective Ndlovu (who is not from Voslorus was the first to arrive at the crime scene. Why? Who called Ndlovu and why?”

@MahlodiJR added:

“He’s got 19 years as a police officer don’t underestimate Adv Teffo. He’s basically exposing the incompetence of our policing system. Mosia is incompetent but yet he’s an expert.”

Read also

Senzo Meyiwa's murder trial continues, investigating officer takes the stand for crime scene walkthrough

1st state witness in Senzo Meyiwa murder trial, Sergeant Thabo Mosia, believes crime scene was preserved

Briefly News also reported that state witness in the Senzo Meyiwa murder trial, Sergeant Thabo Mosia, was the first to take the stand and during cross-examination revealed that he believes the crime scene had been properly “protected”, the High Court in Pretoria heard on Tuesday 26 April.

Recalling the night the murder occurred, Mosia said he arrived at singer Kelly Khumalo’s mother’s home in Vosloorus at midnight. The seven people who were in the house when the shooting occurred waited in a spare bedroom while police scanned the crime scene for evidence.

Mosia photographed and prepared a sketch of the scene before he returned the next morning with other police officers. He also collected evidence, including a bullet fragment, and used swabs to collect DNA. Mosiae noted that crime scene tape used to cordon off the area was still intact, SABC News reported.

Source: Briefly News

Online view pixel