Gwede Mantashe Calls Government's Solar Geyser Project a Disaster, Mzansi Reacts

Gwede Mantashe Calls Government's Solar Geyser Project a Disaster, Mzansi Reacts

- Minister of Mineral Resources and Energy Gwede Mantashe says the government's project has been a fail

- 87 000 solar geysers were meant to be installed in the country but only 7 000 have been installed, unfortunately

- Social media users reacted to Gwede Mantashe's statement online and were not happy with the minister

PAY ATTENTION: Click “See First” under the “Following” tab to see Briefly.co.za News on your News Feed!

Gwede Mantashe says that the government is still pushing ahead with plans to install thousands of solar water geysers despite the issues they're facing, describing them as a disaster.

About 87 000 solar water geysers were placed in storage but only 7 000 have been installed so far, Mantashe said. The Minister of Mineral Resources and Energy also mentioned that the geysers are not being properly stored and that a fund has been set up to cover the cost.

Read also

Local woman shares experience with COVID vaccine, Mzansi has mixed reactions

Gwede Mantashe says the government's solar geyser project is a disaster, Mzansi reacts
Gwede Mantashe has opened up about the government's solar geyser plan and it is failing. Image: GCIS / Flickr
Source: UGC

Mantashe said the contractors who were hired for the job were not properly trained and needed to be further educated on how to do the job.

PAY ATTENTION: Never miss breaking news – join Briefly News' Telegram channel

“The most honourable thing to do about solar geysers is to admit openly that actually, this is a disaster that we inherited. It is our disaster now, we cannot continue blaming our predecessors about it," said Mantashe, according to a report by EWN.

Check out Mzansi's reactions to Mantashe's statement below:

@DJOOSTE2 said:

"So why is he still the minister? Any accountability for this disaster?"

@ThatBass_Player commented:

"It's a disaster and to fix it we need money."

@sarealist commented:

"Nobody inherited the problem - we’ve had the same government since democracy started."

In other political news, Briefly News reported that the ANC’s Jessie Duarte has claimed that the ruling party is not broke.

Read also

Mohale Motaung weighs in on AKA abuse allegations, speaks on tactics of abusers

African National Congress (ANC) deputy secretary-general Jessie Duarte came forward to clear the air on claims that the party has run out of money, saying that the ruling party is not broke, they are just having some cash flow issues.

It was on Tuesday, 11 May that Duarte said sponsors have gone quiet since the Party Funding Act came into effect at the end of April, which requires that sponsors' names are made public.

Apparently, sponsors do not want to be identified as they believe it will tarnish their reputations in business.

Enjoyed reading our story? Download BRIEFLY's news app on Google Play now and stay up-to-date with major South African news!

Source: Briefly.co.za

Online view pixel