Zuma's Defective ConCourt Challenge Struck Off the Roll With Costs

Zuma's Defective ConCourt Challenge Struck Off the Roll With Costs

- Former president Jacob Zuma's attempt to have the North Gauteng High Court's ruling set aside

- The court had ruled in 2017 that Zuma was liable for the legal costs for his unsuccessful challenge to the former public protector's state of capture report

- No one attended the Zoom meeting on Zuma's behalf and he had not complied with any of the court's directives

PAY ATTENTION: Click “See First” under the “Following” tab to see Briefly.co.za News on your News Feed!

Former president Jacob Zuma's case was struck off the roll by the Constitutional Court on Thursday. Zuma was trying to have the decision by the North Gauteng High Court ruling set aside.

The court had ruled that Zuma was personally responsible for the costs associated with his challenge to the ex-public protector's state of capture report from 2017.

Zuma's defective ConCourt challenge struck off the roll with costs
Former president Jacob Zuma's legal and financial woes increased after his ConCourt challenge was struck off the roll with costs. Photo credit: Felix Dlangamandla/Foto24/Gallo Images
Source: Getty Images

This has been perceived as quite a setback for Zuma both legally and financially. Acting Deputy Chief Justice Sisi Khampepe ruled that Zuma was still liable for the legal costs of the two counsels that were employed.

Read also

Zuma maintains his innocence after court appearance, criminal case postponed

In addition, Zuma was also made liable for the costs of his challenge to the earlier costs order according to IOL.

Defective case

It didn't take long for Zuma's case to be struck off the roll. There were a number of issues with the appeal. No one had attended the ConCourt meeting on Zuma's behalf which resulted in the other lawyers calling for the case to be struck off the roll.

Zuma had also not complied with any of the court's directives; no record of appeal had been filed. This was not very surprising, according to the Daily Maverick which reported that Zuma's legal team had withdrawn from the case in April.

A short letter was submitted indicating that Zuma had withdrawn, but no reason was given.

Earlier, Briefly News reported that Floyd Shivambu, deputy leader of the EFF, has condemned the criticism levelled at Advocate Dali Mpofu for defending former president Jacob Zuma in court.

Read also

Dali Mpofu represents Jacob Zuma SA says "You can't trust EFF people"

Many people were taken aback on Wednesday when it was announced that the former EFF chairman will be joining Zuma's defence team in the weapons deal corruption trial. In the Pietermaritzburg High Court, Mpofu represented Zuma on accusations of corruption and fraud.

In other news, the son of former President Jacob Zuma, Edward, says he does not trust South Africa’s judicial system. Edward was speaking to SABC News outside the Pietermaritzburg High Court.

"We have learnt from our father President Zuma to be strong despite the difficulties that we face, this case has taken a toll on us as a family we have been victimized and we continue to be victimized for the sake of harassing President Zuma but as a family, we remain strong." he said.

Enjoyed reading our story? Download BRIEFLY's news app on Google Play now and stay up-to-date with major South African news!

Source: Briefly.co.za

Online view pixel